Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low Download Speeds over Wi Fi from M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur

I have upgraded a 2014 Mac Mini to a 2020 M1 Mac Mini running mac OS Big Sur. The M1 Mac Mini has about 1/10 th the download speed as the 2014 Mac Mini and my wife's about 2 year old iMac. All of our iOS devices also have high download speeds.

I am measuring speed using Speedtest by Ookla at www.speedtest.net . This gives ping, download, and upload speeds. My wife measures: ping 15 ms, download 50 Mbps, and upload 5Mbps. When I ran from the M1 last night, I got 15 ms, 5 Mbps download, and 5 Mbps upload. This afternoon, the first run was 12 Mbps download, then the next three runs were around 8 Mbps download. The ping and upload speeds are normal.

It doesn't seem to be the bluetooth/wi fi interference I read about. My keyboard is connected by blue tooth and USB. I have turned bluetooth on and off with no effect on internet download speed.

Ethernet isn't practical here. We have long since switched to wi fi and removed about 150 feet of ethernet cables from all over the house. Besides, that doesn't explain why other Macs have full download speed using wi fi, but the M1 mac mini doesn't. The 2014 mac mini is stacked below the new M1 mac mini, so it isn't location.

Our wi fi network uses older model Airport Extreme base stations, FWIW.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 5:07 AM

Jamesdphillips45 wrote:
....The 2014 mac mini is stacked below the new M1 mac mini, so it isn't location....

If you mean that the new Mini is sitting on top of the old one, that could be one possible problem.

The Mini's WiFi antenna is on the bottom of the case and if it is sitting on top on another metal case, that could be shielding the new Mini for getting a good signal.

One thing to try as a test, place the new Mini on its side with the bottom facing in the direction of your WiFi router and see if the speed gets better. There are in expensive stands available for using the Mini in a vertical position if that seems to solve the problem.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2022 5:07 AM in response to Jamesdphillips45

Jamesdphillips45 wrote:
....The 2014 mac mini is stacked below the new M1 mac mini, so it isn't location....

If you mean that the new Mini is sitting on top of the old one, that could be one possible problem.

The Mini's WiFi antenna is on the bottom of the case and if it is sitting on top on another metal case, that could be shielding the new Mini for getting a good signal.

One thing to try as a test, place the new Mini on its side with the bottom facing in the direction of your WiFi router and see if the speed gets better. There are in expensive stands available for using the Mini in a vertical position if that seems to solve the problem.

Apr 24, 2022 8:34 PM in response to Jamesdphillips45

I can't seem to find the Cxmount.

mount mac mini under desk

The antenna is on a plate under the bottom cover.

If it doesn't work for the M1, use it for the 2014 Mac Mini or send it back.

Late Edit: Another thing to consider in your orientation, is that high speed USB and display cables can also cause both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues. see > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Apr 24, 2022 3:52 PM in response to woodmeister50

This worked!

I took 3 measurements and was getting between 2 and 4 Mbps. I tried two different orientations with the new Mac Mini vertical with connecting wires to the right and bottom facing in the general direction of the router (which is in the next room).

81 Mbps.

Why does the old Mac Mini do so well? Is the Wi Fi antenna in a different place on the old Mac Mini?

See picture below. Needs to be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise.

Apr 28, 2022 12:12 AM in response to den.thed

The Cxmount arrived yesterday. It is awesome. It is two metal parts: a base plate and a channel piece painted black. It is too heavy to be aluminum. There are no visible fasteners; I think it must be spot welded. There is a thin foam pad on the bottom and the same kind of foam in four 3/4 inch square pads at the ends of the channel. One side of the channel matches the shape of the Mac mini cover and I think that actually supports the Mac mini preventing contact with the bottom of the channel. Brilliant.

The wi fi performance is more or less the same: 70 Mbps download. I will test the angle to see how sensitive it is.

Apr 24, 2022 11:21 PM in response to den.thed

Thank you very much for the photo.

I think it is going to be okay. The antenna is within the bounds of the cover. The new mount is below the cover.

The mount arrives in two days. I will let you know if it works.

Here is a link to Cxmount: https://www.amazon.com/Cxmount-Desktop-Stand-Mini-2010-2018/dp/B07Z6D3D14/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=mac+mini+stand&qid=1650867161&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFJWFQ2OEFSUVRYWDUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5NjE0NzExQUVWQ0ZYVjAyTEVJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NjY1NTcyN09GVzlaTURUWkZMJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thanks again for your help.

Low Download Speeds over Wi Fi from M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.