Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpods Pro keep falling out of my ears!

I just got Airpods Pro and they will not stay in my ears for more than a minute or so. I feel them start creeping and I know I have only a second or two before they seem to jump out of my ear as if they were being repelled or something. I have tried every size tip and they all do the same thing. I never had any problems with my old Airpods so this is strange to me. If I don't find a fix I'm going to have to return them as they are basically unusable. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 8:04 PM

I was having the same problem and started searching for solutions because I’m outside of my window to return my AirPods Pro. I found a suggestion to wear them upside down, at about the 2:00 position. I tried it and it immediately worked. I did a seal test and it had a seal. Didn’t fall out. I made a call on the phone and on FaceTime and was heard perfectly. It does look silly, but they didn’t fall out. Here’s a photo for reference.

1,046 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 8:04 PM in response to manning11

I was having the same problem and started searching for solutions because I’m outside of my window to return my AirPods Pro. I found a suggestion to wear them upside down, at about the 2:00 position. I tried it and it immediately worked. I did a seal test and it had a seal. Didn’t fall out. I made a call on the phone and on FaceTime and was heard perfectly. It does look silly, but they didn’t fall out. Here’s a photo for reference.

Jan 15, 2020 1:40 PM in response to SoCalKess

This is an excellent idea. Here’s what I just posted:

”250 dollars. That’s what I payed for these. You’re telling me that 250 dollars doesn’t get me earbuds that stay in my ears? That’s outrageous. If I move my mouth at all they get pushed out of my ears. Even if I don’t they make their way out anyway. This is what sets Apple apart from other brands. This doesn’t happen with Apple products. How did this slip through the testing?

My suggestion is that you redesign the tips with a different shape or as foam so they stay in your ears. Then offer that for free to everyone who bought airpods pro, and have it included with the standard version.

People expect a level of quality assurance from Apple and this is ruining that. Before this I could buy any Apple product and be sure it would work as expected. Not anymore.

FIX THIS”

Dec 9, 2019 8:36 AM in response to imKim_02

Anyone have luck with non-Apple tips? I’m having the same problem. Small tips seem to fit perfectly, pass fit test, etc. but after 5 to 45 minutes depending on activity, they’ve slowly squeezed their way out of my ear holes, loose their seal and eventually fall out if I’m. It constantly pushing them back in. Amazon has several “anti slip” and “memory foam” type options — but they all look like retrofits for the original AirPod design. Love the way these sound but won’t be able to deal with them constantly falling out. Original AirPods would stay in my ears indefinitely unless really jostled out

Jan 17, 2020 7:53 AM in response to manning11

I had this exact problem, and may have discovered a solution.

First of all - the problem. My Airpod Pro's would be constantly falling out of my ears....forget vigorous exercise, even simply using a elliptical trainer (with no impact) my Pro's would be falling out all the time. It was a real nightmare, because every few minutes I would have to push them in a little harder, or bend down to pick them up when they fell out. It really did impact my enjoyment of my workout, since all the time I was concentrating on ensuring the little Pro's weren't falling out and I couldn't really ever get into the 'zone' when I was wearing them.

I had just assumed that Apple had designed these for a 'standard shaped ear canal' and maybe my ear canal was of a different shape. After all, who's to know, right ?

Then I had an idea. Perhaps my ear canal was shaped just like everyone elses, but perhaps my skin was a little more oily than other people. I usually took to the gym in the morning before I had my shower, and so perhaps the natural oils in my skin, and therefore in my ear canal, were preventing the Airpods from creating the perfect seal that other users had been experiencing.

So, for the last few days, I've been cleaning both my ear canal, and the Airpod Pro tips, with a cleansing wipe - one that has an alcohol base so that the cleansing is both thorough, and which dries quickly. I will clean deeply inside my ear with the cleansing wipe, then both sides of the tip of the Airpod Pro, and then put this in my ear as soon as it dries.

And hey presto. It works. It bloody works.

I'm now working out at the gym for a hard 45 minutes and not a single slippage. Not even a hint of a slippage. No loss of sound, no need to concentrate on these little devices when I'm trying to work out. I can't promise this solution will work for everyone, but it did work for me.

I guess the 'fault' wasn't with Apple all along - and I can now start to LOVE these little devices the way that Apple always intended.

Jan 2, 2020 9:38 AM in response to manning11

I have the original Airpods. They fell out. But, I was able to purchase 3 pair of silicone jackets (for $9) that had a soft little hook that fit in to one of the upper contours in my ear with no discomfort. Now I can do jumping jacks and they won't fall out. I'm a dedicated Apple person, but I definitely won't purchase these pricey new Airpods. There are other upscale brands that already have this little device built in to their buds, pods, (whatever you wan't to call them) and I'll be purchasing those. Sorry Apple. I love you, but in this sort of relationship, we are just not a good fit.

Feb 3, 2020 11:23 PM in response to Aw1799

Solution! Return your Apple AirPods Pro, and buy the Powerbeats Pro! They’re made by Apple, same price, better product! No odd plastic modifications needed! ☺️ Trust me, YOU'LL LOVE THEM! I personally bought black, but for everyone obsessed with a white Apple wireless earbud, there’s the ivory. They also come in moss, and navy. 4 colors to choose from. They're in the Apple store, but for more info visit the beats by Dre website. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MV722LL/A/powerbeats-pro-totally-wireless-earphones-ivory

Airpods Pro keep falling out of my ears!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.