Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Soldered SSD on modern macbook pros

The SSD on all the latest macbook pros are soldered onto the motherboard. It is a known fact that SSDs have limited lifespan. Understand that the SSDs that come with the macbook pros have very good lifespan and by the time it fails, it will be time to upgrade the computer anyways. However, it will be really great if the SSDs are not soldered on the motherboard. I am ready to get even an apple proprietary SSD when I want to change it but at least from the next macbook pros, please do not solder the SSD.

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 9:05 PM

If thicknesses is why Macbook pros rely on soldered SSD, then look at the latest Surface pro x. They do have removable SSD, but it still is a thin system. The problem is that the resale value of Macbook pros will diminish following the current trend

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2019 9:05 PM in response to HWTech

If thicknesses is why Macbook pros rely on soldered SSD, then look at the latest Surface pro x. They do have removable SSD, but it still is a thin system. The problem is that the resale value of Macbook pros will diminish following the current trend

Nov 18, 2019 8:05 PM in response to asp7

As long as Apple wants super thin laptops this is unlikely to change since there just isn't enough room in the current laptops for a removable SSD. For the average user an SSD wearing out within five years is unlikely. I agree though that I would personally like to have a removable SSD as I have seen too many SSDs just fail, plus sometimes you just need to add more storage.

You can provide feedback to Apple here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Soldered SSD on modern macbook pros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.