Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers 6.2.1 unable to open any local "Numbers" file.

Hi, since I updated Numbers to the last version, 6.2.1 (6529), any local Numbers file I want to open results in "The document “document_name” could not be opened. " If I copy the same file to my Numbers folder in icloud, then they do open... How can I fix this without having to copy each file to icloud? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 12:05 PM

Apple Support walked me through this: first try deleting Numbers and downloading a fresh copy from the Apps store. Having done that, try opening a numbers doc. If that fails too, perform a Safe Mode reboot of you Mac (shut down your Mac, start your Mac and immediately press and HOLD down the SHIFT key until you see the sign screen.) Sign in, you should see SAFE MODE in red at the top of you screen. Now, start Numbers of double click one of you existing Numbers docs. If you can open the doc, reboot you Mac normally and open the spreadsheet again. Hopefully it will open and you have basically cleaned up the problem (Mac's directory has been cleaned up as a result of your SAFE MODE reboot).

Good Luck!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2019 12:05 PM in response to Vincent Touquet

Apple Support walked me through this: first try deleting Numbers and downloading a fresh copy from the Apps store. Having done that, try opening a numbers doc. If that fails too, perform a Safe Mode reboot of you Mac (shut down your Mac, start your Mac and immediately press and HOLD down the SHIFT key until you see the sign screen.) Sign in, you should see SAFE MODE in red at the top of you screen. Now, start Numbers of double click one of you existing Numbers docs. If you can open the doc, reboot you Mac normally and open the spreadsheet again. Hopefully it will open and you have basically cleaned up the problem (Mac's directory has been cleaned up as a result of your SAFE MODE reboot).

Good Luck!

Nov 24, 2019 12:04 PM in response to Vincent Touquet

Good Luck!

Numbers 6.2.1 unable to open any local "Numbers" file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.