Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers file format 'invalid'

I have been unable to open all of my numbers files that I previously could (as recent as July 30th). I have tried to restore these to previous versions and still cannot open them. I am thinking it's a problem perhaps with my numbers app, or something to do with the fact that they are stored on my dropbox (although they have always been stored on my dropbox so I'm not sure what changed). It is version 11.1, last updated 2 months ago (and no available new updates). Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 6:34 AM

Some troubleshooting steps you might consider:

Try creating a new document, store it in Dropbox, and see if you can open that.

Then trying moving it out of the Dropbox folder onto your local drive and see if you can open it there.

Try creating a new document, then save it on your local drive and see if you can open it then.

If documents not stored in Dropbox open as expected but not those stored in Dropbox then you might consider storing them in iCloud Drive instead. Numbers is designed to work well with iCloud.

Check your macOS version. The latest version of Big Sur is 11.5.1 so you should update to that if you are running Big Sur. Go to System Preferences > Software Update to do that. If you are on an older macOS then update to the latest available version that Software Update permits.

Sometimes older Macs have two versions of Numbers. Make sure you are using 11.1 and not the older one by launching the version 11.1 directly and then going to File > Open and navigate to a document to open it (as opposed to double-clicking the document in Finder).

And don't forget to try checking your internet connection and restarting your Mac. That sometimes can clear up mysterious problems.

SG

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 6:34 AM in response to jmacaulay91

Some troubleshooting steps you might consider:

Try creating a new document, store it in Dropbox, and see if you can open that.

Then trying moving it out of the Dropbox folder onto your local drive and see if you can open it there.

Try creating a new document, then save it on your local drive and see if you can open it then.

If documents not stored in Dropbox open as expected but not those stored in Dropbox then you might consider storing them in iCloud Drive instead. Numbers is designed to work well with iCloud.

Check your macOS version. The latest version of Big Sur is 11.5.1 so you should update to that if you are running Big Sur. Go to System Preferences > Software Update to do that. If you are on an older macOS then update to the latest available version that Software Update permits.

Sometimes older Macs have two versions of Numbers. Make sure you are using 11.1 and not the older one by launching the version 11.1 directly and then going to File > Open and navigate to a document to open it (as opposed to double-clicking the document in Finder).

And don't forget to try checking your internet connection and restarting your Mac. That sometimes can clear up mysterious problems.

SG

numbers file format 'invalid'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.