Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DLS music device (Sound Banks) option is greyed out and I can't change from QuickTime music Synthesizer to play SF2 files

I recently updated my Mac to Catalina, and installed the latest version of Garageband.

I don't use the DLS music device much, but when I went to try out some of my SF2 files I noticed the DLS music device box was black instead of white like it normally was, and next to the sound bank option it says (QuickTime Music Synthesizer) but its greyed out preventing me from selecting anything else. I have all my Sf2 files running correctly in the right folders under banks in the audio file. Ive taken all them out then one by one added them back in, but the sound banks option is still greyed out. I see all my SF2 files in the correct location . I just can't seem to change the QuickTime bs. Any help on this subject, or what other plugins can I use to read my SF2 files?.

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 9:01 AM

Never mind I figured it out after trial and error. You will need to select the "Go Menu" on the top of the screen. Once your there click the Go to Folder and type ~/library. From there choose Audio - Sounds - Banks. You will see that the Banks folder is empty.

Open a new finder window, select your main hard drive then click Library - Audio - Sounds - Banks, and copy the SF2 files from within the folder and paste them in the "Go Menu" ~/Library - Audio - Sounds - Banks Folder. Restart your DAW system and everything should work out just fine, unless the SF2 files are currupt

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2019 9:01 AM in response to Lxst_Shadxw

Never mind I figured it out after trial and error. You will need to select the "Go Menu" on the top of the screen. Once your there click the Go to Folder and type ~/library. From there choose Audio - Sounds - Banks. You will see that the Banks folder is empty.

Open a new finder window, select your main hard drive then click Library - Audio - Sounds - Banks, and copy the SF2 files from within the folder and paste them in the "Go Menu" ~/Library - Audio - Sounds - Banks Folder. Restart your DAW system and everything should work out just fine, unless the SF2 files are currupt

DLS music device (Sound Banks) option is greyed out and I can't change from QuickTime music Synthesizer to play SF2 files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.