Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving music to external drive

I have a new MacBook Pro and a new external drive....I'd like to move where the music is stored from the hard drive to the external drive...can anyone help me do this..?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 10:16 AM

Move the folder ~/Music/Music to /Volumes/<External Drive>/ then hold down option as you launch Music, click the button to choose a library, and open the library file /Volumes/<External Drive>/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary. You can repeat with the TV app, ~/Movies/TV going to the external drive and then accessing /Volumes/<External Drive>/TV/TV Library.tvlibrary by holding down option as you launch. Note with Catalina you won't have control over where Podcasts, Books, or Audiobooks are stored.

tt2

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2019 10:16 AM in response to Jardaberay1

Move the folder ~/Music/Music to /Volumes/<External Drive>/ then hold down option as you launch Music, click the button to choose a library, and open the library file /Volumes/<External Drive>/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary. You can repeat with the TV app, ~/Movies/TV going to the external drive and then accessing /Volumes/<External Drive>/TV/TV Library.tvlibrary by holding down option as you launch. Note with Catalina you won't have control over where Podcasts, Books, or Audiobooks are stored.

tt2

Nov 19, 2019 11:06 AM in response to Jardaberay1

Not really rocket science. It's a matter of dragging a folder from one place to another (drive to drive so that will copy it), then holding down a key on your keyboard while starting the Music app one time and choosing the place you just copied the folder to get it to start using that place. Apart from the copying the whole process should take about 4.35 seconds.

Nov 19, 2019 11:40 AM in response to Limnos

like landing on the Moon itself for my old dumb ***...but you do make it seem easy.....let me ask this, then......after I do all of that then when I look at storage on the new macbookpro where it now shows 80some GB of music that will go away, right...? If I, somehow, manage to do this Moonlanding...?? My only reason for wanting to move the music...and everything else I can to the external drive is to keep the hard drive , basically, as empty as I can...?

moving music to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.