Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

songs not appearing in Music library from external drive

My old Mac housed all of my music transferred from CDs and downloaded. The file was pretty massive and I ended up transferring a good portion of it to an external drive. I got a new Mac last year and didn't add any of the music with the intent of solely using the external drive. I've finally gotten around to making sure I can use the drive, but songs don't appear in Music automatically. I've held down the Option key while opening Music to identify the correct drive, and in Preferences I'm using the external drive as the Music Media folder location. I see the music if I open a Finder Window, and if I play a specific song from there it appears in Music. I'm sure there's a way to make the songs visible without playing every one but I'm stuck. Help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 8:34 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 19, 2022 11:06 AM in response to heather713

They should be added to the library. Exactly what happens depends on their current location with respect to the designated media folder (inside or outside) and the settings for Keep... and Copy... under Music > Preferences > Files. If they are outside the media folder and Copy... is selected then Music makes new copies inside the media folder. If Keep... is enabled the files might be moved around to better reflect metadata.

tt2

songs not appearing in Music library from external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.