Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

School Issued iPads with Teacher Apple ID's that we want to reuse for staff and students

I have a couple boxes of school purchased iPads that were stored for the past two years. I would like to issue these to teaching staff as we have new, upgraded touch board systems that link to iPads to be controlled remotely. The iPads we have all have teacher Apple ID's and there is no way to determine the full Apple ID's (they show the first letter and @ symbol with email server only) or passwords because they are all different. We'd like to reprogram these with a district ID so we can redistribute them correctly. I am not a super tech guy and I am trying to clear out and reset one iPad so we can know how to change all the other iPads. This tool is a game changer for our teachers and students. Unless we can reset these with an Apple ID, these are just going to sit in a box and never benefit students. Might anyone be able to help us get these iPads useable again?

Thank you,

Mark

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 10:24 AM

You need to obtain proof that the school owns the iPads - an invoice or purchase order with the serial numbers. From there, you can contact Apple for assistance. You will also need proof you are employed by the school, such as a pay stub.

~Lyssa

3 replies

Nov 26, 2019 1:39 AM in response to efrprincipal

If the iPad is set up using a school Apple ID: 

If your school has been managing the other ipads with an Apple School Manager or an MDM and these devices are enrolled into them, you can potentially wipe-off/ factory-reset the device and set up the device again using Apple School Manager. It is as simple as that.

If your iPads were set up using a personal ID, which you obviously have no hold of now,  you can try the following: 

Factory reset your iPads by connecting it with a lightning cable to a computer with iTunes app. In the iTunes app, you can choose to reset the device without backup. This will wipe the iPhone clean, erase all data using recovery mode. You can set it up again with a new Apple ID, this time preferably a school id. 

Next, add it to Apple School Manager (it’s a free offering by Apple) to secure these iPads and avoid such scenarios in the future. You have to contact Apple/reseller through which you had purchased these devices. They can authorize your ownership on the device. Once that’s done, you can add them to the Apple School Manager, where all the devices are set up using one single Apple ID, the school’s Apple ID. 

For managing the devices more effectively, applying policies against security and misuse you can manage them with an MDM solution. Choose an Apple MDM solution and add it to the Apple School Manager.

School Issued iPads with Teacher Apple ID's that we want to reuse for staff and students

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.