Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a simple way to capitalise a word as you are dictating?

On my iPhone and iPad, when dictating using Siri I can just say "cap" before a word and it will be capitalised, rather than going back after the fact and asking Voice Control to capitalise a word. This doesn't seem to work when dictating with Voice Control.

Is this a missing feature, or am I missing something?

MacBook

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 7:47 PM

According to the list of commands use "Capitalize that" or "Capitalize <phrase>". The list of commands is found in the Voice Control section of the Accessibility preferences panel. Look for the Commands button.

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 19, 2019 8:51 PM in response to Kappy

I know about this command to capitalise words with Voice Control, but it is all rather clunky as you need to dictate a sentence and then go back and capitalise any words after the fact. You then need to take the additional step of asking Voice Control to go to the end of the sentence. Siri handles all of this a lot more gracefully on an iPhone or an iPad.

What I would really like is a command that allows me to say “cap” before a word so that Voice Control knows the following word needs to be capitalised. This is how Siri and Dragon Dictate both work, and is critical on the Mac now that Dragon Dictate has been discontinued for over a year. Dragon Dictate works on Mojave reasonably well, even if it crashes occasionally, but I'm scared of upgrading to Catalina if it will completely break Dragon Dictate.

I know this might sound like a trivial problem, but I am a quadriplegic that also works as a solicitor and we capitalise defined terms in contracts all the time. I've given up using Voice Control on my iPad Pro for long-form dictation until there is a better way to handle capitalisation of everyday words.

Is there a simple way to capitalise a word as you are dictating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.