Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video won't drag into storyboard

I'm trying to create a movie on my MacBook. Some of the videos in my media will not drag to my storyboard. They just show grey like they cannot be added. They are the same format as all the other videos in my media that will add to the storyboard. Any suggestions on how I could fix this?

MacBook, OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 10:25 AM

What format are the troublesome videos? What device were they imported from? What steps did you use to import the video clips? Do they play in the media browser but just not the timeline? You can try importing the clips to the Photos app and then accessing them from the Photos item in the sidebar of an iMovie project. See if that works. It is the recommended way of doing it.

Possibly a corrupt preference is causing the problem. Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the troublesome videos will import to the timeline.

Also, the issue might be confined to just one project. Try creating a new project and dragging in the videos into its timeline. See if that works.

Possibly the videos have not been fully imported. That can happen if the camera or SD card is disconnected or unplugged prematurely. If that might be your situation, try re-importing the videos.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2019 10:25 AM in response to ap128

What format are the troublesome videos? What device were they imported from? What steps did you use to import the video clips? Do they play in the media browser but just not the timeline? You can try importing the clips to the Photos app and then accessing them from the Photos item in the sidebar of an iMovie project. See if that works. It is the recommended way of doing it.

Possibly a corrupt preference is causing the problem. Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the troublesome videos will import to the timeline.

Also, the issue might be confined to just one project. Try creating a new project and dragging in the videos into its timeline. See if that works.

Possibly the videos have not been fully imported. That can happen if the camera or SD card is disconnected or unplugged prematurely. If that might be your situation, try re-importing the videos.

-- Rich

video won't drag into storyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.