Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMove falter when making a movie

I imported the videos from my photo camera in iMovie. The preview runs smoothly. But if I drag a fragment tot the movie bar and then play everything, it will falter and I can't really see how the movie will be. MacBook and iMovie software have been updated, tried restart several times, does not help. How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 8:18 AM

Hi, LVVK,

When you say "falter" do you mean stuttering or freezing? What is the format, frame rate, and resolution of your video clips.

Here are some things to try:

Deleting Preferences

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that

appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

New Project

Another thing you can try is to copy your media into a newly created project and see if that cures the problem. To do

that, do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into the newly created project.

Safe Mode

You could also try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads,

immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

--Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2020 8:18 AM in response to LVVK

Hi, LVVK,

When you say "falter" do you mean stuttering or freezing? What is the format, frame rate, and resolution of your video clips.

Here are some things to try:

Deleting Preferences

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that

appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

New Project

Another thing you can try is to copy your media into a newly created project and see if that cures the problem. To do

that, do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into the newly created project.

Safe Mode

You could also try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads,

immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

--Rich

iMove falter when making a movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.