Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best external hard drive to back up MAC

Need to purchase an external hard drive for backing up MAC...where do I begin?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 4:39 PM

I prefer the Mercury Elite Pro series from OWC (macsales.com); they haave fast SSD option, medium speed 7200 rpm spinning drives or slow 5400 rpm ones (don't bother with one of those). Enough choices for connections too and are recommended here in these forums as they are "Mac centric". And, it is always good to have one that has its own power supply rather than drawing all of it from the Mac - the Elite Pro mini can be used either way which is handy.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2019 4:39 PM in response to francine192

I prefer the Mercury Elite Pro series from OWC (macsales.com); they haave fast SSD option, medium speed 7200 rpm spinning drives or slow 5400 rpm ones (don't bother with one of those). Enough choices for connections too and are recommended here in these forums as they are "Mac centric". And, it is always good to have one that has its own power supply rather than drawing all of it from the Mac - the Elite Pro mini can be used either way which is handy.

Nov 20, 2019 4:34 PM in response to francine192

I personally like bus-powered drives that use a separate SATA drive. That may be useful if there's an issue with the enclosure. I personally use a Seagate Backup Plus bus powered drive.

Some drives are basically an all in one unit where the drive and the drive to USB controller are all one unit. If something is damaged (like a USB micro-B port then it might be difficult to get it working. If it's a combined SATA/enclosure unit or one that uses a SATA drive, it would be possible to extract the internal drive and then place it in a drive enclosure.

Perhaps more information on what Mac you have? There are a variety of different connection types. You posted on a MacBook Air forum, and they can have a variety of different connections including USB-A and USB-C. Depending on what you have, you might need an adapter or perhaps a specialized cable.

Nov 21, 2019 10:03 AM in response to francine192

I'm not a big fan of the pre-built external drives sold in big box stores because I have no idea what I'm getting. Sure, it might have a brand name on the box but what's the USB chip set? What kind of drive is inside? Are the cables high quality? So I purchase a high quality external enclosure (typically from macsales or IcyDock) and a good quality bare drive (typically Western Digital Black for backups). I just recently retired 2 FireWire drives that are at least 12 years old because I no longer have computers with FW ports. I've replaced bare drives mostly with higher capacity drives, not because they failed, and since I put the new drives in an already existing enclosure, I saved money in the long run.

Best external hard drive to back up MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.