Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bookmarks in Favorites Folder Disappear

The bookmarks in my Favorite folder disappear. I can restore the bookmarks by replacing the Bookmarks.plist file via Time Machine. Unfortunately, any action working with bookmarks (creating a new folder, saving a new URL, etc.) causes the Favorites bookmarks to disappear. I'm running Safari on an iMac, Catalina version 10.15.1, Safari version 13.0.3. I'd be grateful for any help with a solution to this recent problem.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 6:41 AM

In latest MaxOS versions, the Library folder is always visible. I had deleted the Safari Bookmarks.plist multiple times to no avail.

I have found a fix for the problem. Last week I woke up my old iTouch and attempted to sync it to my iMac. That caused the problems. I have removed the iTouch from my AppleID account. That solved the iMac Safari problem. There was a similar problem with Safari only iPhone. I had to delete all the bookmarks from my iPhone and start over. Anyway all's well now. Thanks for your interest.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 6:41 AM in response to Eric Root

In latest MaxOS versions, the Library folder is always visible. I had deleted the Safari Bookmarks.plist multiple times to no avail.

I have found a fix for the problem. Last week I woke up my old iTouch and attempted to sync it to my iMac. That caused the problems. I have removed the iTouch from my AppleID account. That solved the iMac Safari problem. There was a similar problem with Safari only iPhone. I had to delete all the bookmarks from my iPhone and start over. Anyway all's well now. Thanks for your interest.

Nov 20, 2019 6:46 PM in response to Riverguy

Safari/File/Export Bookmarks to save a backup copy.

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Safari/Bookmarks.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

If it fixes the problem, Safari/File/Import from and import your Bookmarks.

Bookmarks in Favorites Folder Disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.