Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 3rd Generation Apple TV. Can I download YouTube TV to this device yet (Nov 2019)?

I have a 3rd Generation Apple TV. Can I download YouTube TV to this device yet (Nov 2019)?

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 8:20 AM

No, 3rd generation Apple TV's cannot have apps downloaded to them as there is no app store on Apple TV's made before the 4th generation. Considering your Apple TV is using 8 year old technology you may want to consider upgrading to a 4th generation or 4K, version to download available apps.

5 replies

Nov 22, 2019 9:35 AM in response to annie_motley

Not a problem at all. I've had great luck buying Apple refurbished products. To date I have bought:

• 1 27" iMac
  • A Mac Mini
  • 3 Apple TV 3s (when they were available)
  • Apple TV 4K

All of these products have been great and I have not experienced any issues with any of them. Overall, I have been very pleased over the years with Apple refurbished products.

Nov 22, 2019 8:40 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you so much for this update!!! I had a feeling but you've just confirmed it. The reason is I'm dropping all my cable and strictly using YouTube TV along with our favorites i.e. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. I can watch our local news from the YouTube TV app on my phone and then CAST IT to the TV. That'll work until we decide to get a newer version of the Apple TV. Thanks so much for your help! Really appreciate it.

Nov 22, 2019 8:45 AM in response to annie_motley

Your very welcome. BTW, if you are in the USA I see Apple has the Apple TV's in their refurbished store. There is no downside to buying Apple refurbished products. They are identical to new, come with same 1 year warranty as new and are eligibly for AppleCare and can save $$. You can find them by navigating to www.apple.com and navigate to the bottom of the page and click the Refurbished store. If you don't see what you want, check often as inventory changes VERY fast.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.