Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Uncheck Silence While iPhone is Locked on iPhone 11 Pro Max

My new iPhone 11 Pro Max has "Silence While iPhone is Locked" checked on the DND screen. DND is not, nor has it ever, been activated. The switch on the side of my phone is not set to silent mode. How do I Unselect "Silence While iPhone is Locked?" I am missing phone calls and text messages throughout the day because of this annoying setting that can't (apparently) be changed.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 3:10 PM

It is white. I can tell the difference between on and off; I've used iPhones since 2007. The only think checked is under the "SILENCE" category, "While iPhone is Locked." I want to know how to UNcheck that item.

9 replies

Nov 25, 2019 11:35 AM in response to razmee209

I have checked and rechecked DND; the "silence" button on the side of the phone; notification settings for both phone and Messages (I don't get audible text message notifications either), Sounds and Haptics settings, and probably others things I'm not recalling at the moment. It's incredibly frustrating to have a message pop up saying "Missed Call" when my phone is within arm's reach and it never rang.

Dec 18, 2019 6:18 AM in response to RobinznestinKC

RobinznestinKC wrote:

I'm not sure if everyone's issue is the same. However, I figured out the problem with my phone. There is a toggle switch (so tiny you can barely see it) above the Volume Up/down buttons. If you slide it back to fron't it enables the sounds to be activated.

Yes, the mute switch is a very common cause of this problem.

Nov 22, 2019 3:15 PM in response to GAdams

You don't, mine is off, under silence I have "always or while phone is locked" mine is check to while phone is locked.

With that said it has nothing to do with you not being able to receive calls or text as long as DND is not enabled.

Before I even ask anymore questions or suggest anything else what other settings/trouibleshooting have you checked or done?

Dec 16, 2019 8:19 PM in response to kfilms

kfilms wrote:

I am having the SAME problem. It is incredibly frustrating. Whenever my phone is unlocked I hear the custom text sounds for contacts and when the phone is locked there is no sound. This HAS to do with the DND Silence when Iphone is locked that you cannot unselect. Apple needs to fix this ASAP!

That setting has NO effect on your phone unless DND is turned on. IF you're phone isn't ringing, you have another problem.

Cannot Uncheck Silence While iPhone is Locked on iPhone 11 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.