Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Code -8062

So I'm trying to copy a folder into another and when ever I try to it says 'The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8062).' and when I try to move it it says 'The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “assets” can’t be read or written.

(Error code -36)' and I couldn't find what the error means anywhere.

Can someone please help?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 8:28 AM

Hi TurtlePower159,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to copy or move one folder into another folder, and I'd like to help.

Are you unable to perform this action with all folders, or just certain folders? I'd like to see if this is an issue caused by changes done to the permissions of the items. Please try these steps to reset permissions, then test for the same behavior again: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support. If it remains the same, continue below.

Let's have you boot up into safe mode. It’s a way to start up your Mac so it performs certain checks, repairs, emptying of system cache, and prevents some software from automatically loading: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support. Once in safe mode, check to see if the same behavior continues when copying and/or moving folders into another folder. Sometimes safe mode can successfully resolve some issues. With this being said, after testing in safe mode, restart and log in as normal to see if that helps resolve the issue.

If the issue remains, I will have you test a new user account next, to isolate if this is a user-specific issue, or a system-wide issue. Here’s how: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support. Based on the results in the new user, you could continue to the section titled 'If the issue doesn't happen in the other account' or 'If the issue happens in the other account' to continue troubleshooting.

Keep me posted, if you need continued support.

Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 8:28 AM in response to TurtlePower159

Hi TurtlePower159,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are unable to copy or move one folder into another folder, and I'd like to help.

Are you unable to perform this action with all folders, or just certain folders? I'd like to see if this is an issue caused by changes done to the permissions of the items. Please try these steps to reset permissions, then test for the same behavior again: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support. If it remains the same, continue below.

Let's have you boot up into safe mode. It’s a way to start up your Mac so it performs certain checks, repairs, emptying of system cache, and prevents some software from automatically loading: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support. Once in safe mode, check to see if the same behavior continues when copying and/or moving folders into another folder. Sometimes safe mode can successfully resolve some issues. With this being said, after testing in safe mode, restart and log in as normal to see if that helps resolve the issue.

If the issue remains, I will have you test a new user account next, to isolate if this is a user-specific issue, or a system-wide issue. Here’s how: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support. Based on the results in the new user, you could continue to the section titled 'If the issue doesn't happen in the other account' or 'If the issue happens in the other account' to continue troubleshooting.

Keep me posted, if you need continued support.

Regards.

Error Code -8062

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.