Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I retrieve pictures in iPhoto?

I updated my MacBookPro to MacOS 10.15.1. Now I cannot access iPhoto. How can I retrieve my old photos?

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 9:25 AM

Photos for Mac is the successor to iPhoto and can open your iPhoto Libraries.

Try the following:

• Drag the crossed out iPhotos.app onto the Photos icon in the Dock.

Then Photos will open your most recent iPhoto Library and create a new Photos Library. You can access your photos and albums this way.

If Photos should come up with an empty library, you may have to select the library manually.

• Quit Photos, if it is running, hold down the options key ⌥, then double click Photos to bring up the library Chooser dialog and select your iPhoto Library.

To get you started with Photos, see the user guide: Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2019 9:25 AM in response to Overwhelmed1937

Photos for Mac is the successor to iPhoto and can open your iPhoto Libraries.

Try the following:

• Drag the crossed out iPhotos.app onto the Photos icon in the Dock.

Then Photos will open your most recent iPhoto Library and create a new Photos Library. You can access your photos and albums this way.

If Photos should come up with an empty library, you may have to select the library manually.

• Quit Photos, if it is running, hold down the options key ⌥, then double click Photos to bring up the library Chooser dialog and select your iPhoto Library.

To get you started with Photos, see the user guide: Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

How can I retrieve pictures in iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.