Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Account Information in iTunes

I signed up for Apple Music.

I go to iTunes and select Sign In.

Sign in with the Apple ID I used to subscribe.

I go back to that drop down and it still shows Sign In. Does not show Account Information.

Trying to learn how to Apple Music but nothing working correctly for me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 3:44 PM

Apple Music is the name for Apple's music subscription service. It can also be used to refer to the Music app on computers running the macOS 10.15 Catalina operating system and iOS devices. In Catalina it, and new apps for TV, Podcasts along with Finder and Books, take over the functions of iTunes. See What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support for more.

When you sign into iTunes (or Music) with your Apple ID on a computer, iOS device, etc. you will have access to locally stored content and any unhidden purchases with cloud links from which they can be streamed or downloaded. iTunes Match extends this ability to stream or download to the rest of the music in your library. Apple Music goes further and lets you add other content from the iTunes Store to use in the same way for as long your subscription remains active.

iCloud Music Library is the older term for Sync Library. Turn iCloud Music Library on in iTunes from iTunes > Preferences > General tab and on your device. Any content you add to one device should appear on the other. In general life is easier if you have a single Apple ID, but having different IDs for iTunes (and related services) and iCloud shouldn't cause a problem as long as iCloud Music Library (iTunes Match or Apple Music) is attached to your iTunes Apple ID.

tt2

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2019 3:44 PM in response to Norm Harris

Apple Music is the name for Apple's music subscription service. It can also be used to refer to the Music app on computers running the macOS 10.15 Catalina operating system and iOS devices. In Catalina it, and new apps for TV, Podcasts along with Finder and Books, take over the functions of iTunes. See What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support for more.

When you sign into iTunes (or Music) with your Apple ID on a computer, iOS device, etc. you will have access to locally stored content and any unhidden purchases with cloud links from which they can be streamed or downloaded. iTunes Match extends this ability to stream or download to the rest of the music in your library. Apple Music goes further and lets you add other content from the iTunes Store to use in the same way for as long your subscription remains active.

iCloud Music Library is the older term for Sync Library. Turn iCloud Music Library on in iTunes from iTunes > Preferences > General tab and on your device. Any content you add to one device should appear on the other. In general life is easier if you have a single Apple ID, but having different IDs for iTunes (and related services) and iCloud shouldn't cause a problem as long as iCloud Music Library (iTunes Match or Apple Music) is attached to your iTunes Apple ID.

tt2

Dec 7, 2019 12:00 PM in response to Leanne_68

I signed in with that Apple ID. Like many folks, I seem to have many Apple IDs.

Back to problem.... When I go to iTunes and select "For You" in the upper middle of page, it shows apple icon and Music. That's all.

I've now paid for 3 months of Apple Music and still don't know how to log in and don't even know what I get with Apple Music. Not a good situation. ;) LOL

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dec 7, 2019 3:11 PM in response to turingtest2

I still need to find out about Apple Music. What it does? What are differences from iTunes? Does it change iTunes Match?

So I followed those instructions:

On my iPhone there is a "Show Apple Music" and "iCloud Music Library" among others but no "Sync Library"

On my Mac, I don't have a "Music" app. I have iTunes.

Also, my Apple ID for iTunes and Apple Music is different than my Apple ID for iCloud. Does that cause any issues?

Thanks much for the help.

Norm

No Account Information in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.