Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Number for SMS on Dual-SIM iPhone XS Max

I have an eSIM from my Canadian wireless provider, Rogers. While travelling in Europe I purchased a physical SIM from a local provider. Both the Cellular Data and Default Voice Line where set to the physical SIM line.

However, I sent an SMS from an existing conversation and I thought it would go through the physical SIM line (the Default Voice Line). Instead, it went through the eSIM line, and triggered a $12+tax Roam Like Home charge!!!

How would I know which line an SMS in an existing conversation will use? And how could one change the line from the eSIM line to the physical SIM, or the other way around for an existing conversation?

This is so confusing!

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 9:49 PM

+1 this is frustrating

It’s apparently not possible to change the line without having to delete an existing conversation and starting a new one which means you’d have to delete a thread you might want to keep. Not cool.

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 26, 2019 5:45 PM in response to Michael9009

Hey there Michael9009,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you have some questions about which service is using your eSIM or Physical SIM. I’ll be happy to help with this.

‘You can switch phone numbers before you send an iMessage or SMS/MMS message.’ When you send a message, you should be able to tap the current phone number in use, then tap the number you want to use for the message. Take a look at this link for more details on this and using Dual SIM:

Using Dual SIM with an eSIM

I hope this helps.

Nov 27, 2019 8:38 AM in response to Michael9009

Hi Michael9009,

So according to the article that was provided, ‘You can switch phone numbers before you send an iMessage or SMS/MMS message.’ The number has to be determined before you send the message. If you want, you can delete the existing message thread and then start a new one using the correct number. Here's that link once more:

Using Dual SIM with an eSIM

Cheers.

Nov 27, 2019 1:54 AM in response to CarlAVII

Allen,

Thanks for trying to help but I think you misunderstood my question. Basically, I need to know how could I - after adding a second SIM and configuring it to be the Default Voice line and the Cellular Data line - reply to an existing SMS conversation using the telephone number associated to the new (second) SIM, not the number associated to the primary SIM which had been used previously?

I thought the number would be changed automatically once the second SIM is set as the Default Voice line but no! One SMS I sent from an existing conversation went out from the number associated to the primary SMS which triggered a $12+tax Roam Like Home charge from Rogers.

When I click on the 'i' button at the top of the screen for the existing conversation, I can see "Using Primary for this conversation", but I cannot find a way to switch the conversation to the Secondary line. How can this be done?

Michael

Change Number for SMS on Dual-SIM iPhone XS Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.