Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable dictation in voice control in Catalina

I am new to Mac. So may be I am missing something here.

I have the voice control on. But the problem is when I am on Xcode etc, it just inserts random text when I watch a video or I talk.

So I would like to use the voice commands but disable dictation.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 10:37 AM

In the Keyboard preferences panel is where you turn Dictation on or off. Open Keyboard and click on the Dictation button in the navbar. If the Dictation On radio button is selected, the click in the Off button. This will disable Dictation completely. Or you can simply turn off the mic so it won't pick up spurious sounds in the room. There is, however, no other way to actually prevent other sounds triggering actions whenever Voice Control or Dictation is activated unless you turn down the mic gain until only your voice is recognized and other sounds are unable to be picked up.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2019 10:37 AM in response to sekarb

In the Keyboard preferences panel is where you turn Dictation on or off. Open Keyboard and click on the Dictation button in the navbar. If the Dictation On radio button is selected, the click in the Off button. This will disable Dictation completely. Or you can simply turn off the mic so it won't pick up spurious sounds in the room. There is, however, no other way to actually prevent other sounds triggering actions whenever Voice Control or Dictation is activated unless you turn down the mic gain until only your voice is recognized and other sounds are unable to be picked up.

How to disable dictation in voice control in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.