Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dust inside the iPhone 11 Pro Max rear camera lens

Hi! I'm new to iPhones and had recently bought an iPhone 11 Pro Max. To be exact, I've exchanged a few already due to one blaring issue I have: dust UNDER the camera glass. It cannot be cleaned on surface meaning it had to be caught inside during manufacturing.

I thought I had received a clean copy but a week later to my horror I turn the camera at angle to find a very small dust spec under the main rear camera lens. You'd probably have to look with sharpness of a magnifying glass to catch it, but it's there. I look at my old phones and I notice a lack of dust under the lens. So what's the deal? Where is the quality control and I'm out of chances trying to replace it once again.

Being a photographer, I'm very particular of dust and buying this phone specifically for shots when I can. In reality, it's not the biggest deal, but I strive for cleanliness in aesthetics regardless.

Any action you can suggest I can do would be appreciated.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 6:21 AM

I have dust in my 11Pro as well. Since I am on my third 11Pro due to technical problems I can confrim that all of them had dust in their lenses. @Franco90: You say you are a photographer, then you should check your lenses and I am sure you will find dust in them. Almost all lenses have some sort of dust in them - and due to the law of physics this doesn't matter. The sesnsor inside the camera is not able to focus on an object this close. It will blur out of focus. You can try this yourself: Go to a wire fence with a camera, get as close as possible and make a picture: You will see that the wire is ot in frame. Another point: If dust on a lense would matter (unless it is a ton of dust) you would have to clean them throroughly before every shot. There is a lot more dust on your lense than in your lense. I know it is annoying but dust in iPhone lenses is just a cosmetic problem.

Similar questions

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 6:21 AM in response to franco90

I have dust in my 11Pro as well. Since I am on my third 11Pro due to technical problems I can confrim that all of them had dust in their lenses. @Franco90: You say you are a photographer, then you should check your lenses and I am sure you will find dust in them. Almost all lenses have some sort of dust in them - and due to the law of physics this doesn't matter. The sesnsor inside the camera is not able to focus on an object this close. It will blur out of focus. You can try this yourself: Go to a wire fence with a camera, get as close as possible and make a picture: You will see that the wire is ot in frame. Another point: If dust on a lense would matter (unless it is a ton of dust) you would have to clean them throroughly before every shot. There is a lot more dust on your lense than in your lense. I know it is annoying but dust in iPhone lenses is just a cosmetic problem.

Dec 28, 2019 10:08 AM in response to Fischerfritz

Me neither. I tell you what, I upgraded from iphone 6S+ to the iPhone 11 pro max partly because of the ip68 dust and water resistance. If I start getting dust under my camera I'll ditch apple iPhone for Android again. I have switched back and forth before and what causes it is usually annoyance with tech or hardware from one side or the other.

Dust under my camera will definitely be enough to cause me to leave Apple. What has happened to their quality control?

Jan 9, 2020 3:04 AM in response to enricobrun

No wonder the lenses show dust specs. Just watched a couple of tear down videos by ifxit and jerryrigyouknowwho. They way the camera unit is placed within the phone allows dust that gathered during the assembly process to move almost freely. The camera unit and the lense covers are not sealed together. The lens covers appear to be a part of the glass back. And as far as I know the production lines are not dust free zones. Maybe this explains enricobrun's obersvation of "hundreds of iphones" with dust in it. If your phone is dust free like rbrylawski's you're either very lucky or it just does not show at the Moment.

Dust inside the iPhone 11 Pro Max rear camera lens

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.