Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing safe search...

I haven't been using my MacBook much lately; the past few times I have used it I noticed instead of defaulting to Google to search, it is routing me to something called Safe Search for Yahoo - almost all of the results are irrelevant to what I searched for. I have checked to make sure my default search engine is google and there are no extensions listed. I did try googling this but 99% of the suggestions said to download something to remove it and I am a little wary to do so. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 2:42 PM

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

Safesearch uninstall

Safesearch uninstall (2)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2019 2:42 PM in response to mkunk1

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

Safesearch uninstall

Safesearch uninstall (2)

Removing safe search...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.