Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS catilana version 10.15.6 i can't remove safefinder yahoo search for googlecrome browser help me i tried removing that application, clearing browser history, removed default search engine chrome settings but still safe finder comes back why

send me the ways to remove it i will try them all

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 10:23 PM

Hey there! Sounds like you’ve downloaded some adware, (unintentionally of course), that shouldn’t be a problem to remove.

Of course Safari is Apple’s browser, and for that browser, we might have some more suggestions.

However, one place to look is System Preferences, do you see a category there called “Profiles”? If so, and you see something there you didn’t install yourself, I’d remove them by highlighting and pressing the “-“ sign below them,

Then, I’d check System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items, if you see anything unrecognized in the space below, remove them using the same process,

Also in Finder > Applications, I’d remove any suspicious apps you didn’t download yourself and aren’t a part of the Mac OS,

Then restart your Mac, that should do it!

If not:

In Chrome > Preferences > Extensions, do you see anything there not normal? I know you said you’ve already remove the search engines and deleted/reinstalled but that still might be the case. If not:

Id download Malware Bytes for Mac to do a scan, they’re usually pretty good at finding known malware if Mac OS hadn’t removed it after restarting.

Worst comes to worst, contact Google. I HAVE seen malware, once fixed on the Mac, still continue to affect ONLY Chrome, with no trace of it on the Mac anywhere, and I believe it has to do with the Malware programmers changing Chrome’s settings on a server level, tweaking the privacy settings to their liking.

Thats is pretty rare though, just let us know if you have any questions, happy to help out!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2020 10:23 PM in response to yogedon

Hey there! Sounds like you’ve downloaded some adware, (unintentionally of course), that shouldn’t be a problem to remove.

Of course Safari is Apple’s browser, and for that browser, we might have some more suggestions.

However, one place to look is System Preferences, do you see a category there called “Profiles”? If so, and you see something there you didn’t install yourself, I’d remove them by highlighting and pressing the “-“ sign below them,

Then, I’d check System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items, if you see anything unrecognized in the space below, remove them using the same process,

Also in Finder > Applications, I’d remove any suspicious apps you didn’t download yourself and aren’t a part of the Mac OS,

Then restart your Mac, that should do it!

If not:

In Chrome > Preferences > Extensions, do you see anything there not normal? I know you said you’ve already remove the search engines and deleted/reinstalled but that still might be the case. If not:

Id download Malware Bytes for Mac to do a scan, they’re usually pretty good at finding known malware if Mac OS hadn’t removed it after restarting.

Worst comes to worst, contact Google. I HAVE seen malware, once fixed on the Mac, still continue to affect ONLY Chrome, with no trace of it on the Mac anywhere, and I believe it has to do with the Malware programmers changing Chrome’s settings on a server level, tweaking the privacy settings to their liking.

Thats is pretty rare though, just let us know if you have any questions, happy to help out!

macOS catilana version 10.15.6 i can't remove safefinder yahoo search for googlecrome browser help me i tried removing that application, clearing browser history, removed default search engine chrome settings but still safe finder comes back why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.