Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Apple Mobile Device Service on my Windows 10 PC.

I am running iTunes version 12.10.2.3 and am unable to download pictures from my iPhone 8 to my PC.

It always worked until about a year ago (probably less). I went on a trouble shoot page and it said to open Services.msc. In Services, I have neither Apple Mobile Device Service nor AMDS.

I do have "AMD External Events Utility". But no idea if it is what I want or what to do with it.

Any ideas?

iPhone 8

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 5:48 PM

You shouldn't be dragging photos from iPhone to PC. Neither Windows nor iOS supports that means of transfer any more. You should be following these instructions-->Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Did you install iTunes using an administrator Windows user ID?

You might also find this useful-->Restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows - Apple Support

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2019 5:48 PM in response to DadLax32

You shouldn't be dragging photos from iPhone to PC. Neither Windows nor iOS supports that means of transfer any more. You should be following these instructions-->Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Did you install iTunes using an administrator Windows user ID?

You might also find this useful-->Restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows - Apple Support

Nov 24, 2019 5:44 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Sorry for the confusion. iTunes returned fine!

Problem is that I cannot move pictures from my phone to my PC. Even with the reinstall, neither Apple Mobile Device Service nor AMDS is in the Service list.

I removed iPhone from USB and replaced. I can move a few pictures and then “A device attached to the system is not functioning “. I am clocking a dragging from the Apple iPhone folder attached to my PC

Also,

Missing Apple Mobile Device Service on my Windows 10 PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.