Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro extremely hot when charging

I have a 2019 Macbook Pro base model (8GB 128 GB). I noticed that when it is connected to the charger it becomes extremely hot to the point it becomes difficult to type on its keyboard or use the trackpad. This is my first Macbook Pro and not sure if this is Mac standard. I have owned several PC laptops and never had this problem. The MacOS is updated with the latest version of Catalina. This occurs every time I charge it. My wife bought a Macbook Air and hers does not become as hot. Any advise would be appreciated. If no solution, I will have no choice but to return it and get a Macbook Air.

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 10:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 12:01 AM

hosseinmx Said:

Any advise would be appreciated. If no solution, I will have no choice but to return it and get a Macbook Air.

———-

Some Extra Advise:

While Awaiting a Genius Bar Appointment:

• Place this in an Open Location. Do not store it in the corner.

• Leave it Unplugged: To avoid the power adapter from getting damaged, leave it aside and unplugged

• Use a Laptop Cooler: Don’t Use the Laptop. Rather place it on a laptop cooler, to avoid overheating. Use an external power source to power the laptop cooler.

• Device Replacement: Apple will likely replace something inside the laptop, rather than give you a new laptop. If this is a continuous issue, expect an exchange laptop to take place.

• Apple Contact Info:
  1. Contact Us - Choose Locations
  2. USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE
  3. Proceed from there, as necessary

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2019 12:01 AM in response to hosseinmx

hosseinmx Said:

Any advise would be appreciated. If no solution, I will have no choice but to return it and get a Macbook Air.

———-

Some Extra Advise:

While Awaiting a Genius Bar Appointment:

• Place this in an Open Location. Do not store it in the corner.

• Leave it Unplugged: To avoid the power adapter from getting damaged, leave it aside and unplugged

• Use a Laptop Cooler: Don’t Use the Laptop. Rather place it on a laptop cooler, to avoid overheating. Use an external power source to power the laptop cooler.

• Device Replacement: Apple will likely replace something inside the laptop, rather than give you a new laptop. If this is a continuous issue, expect an exchange laptop to take place.

• Apple Contact Info:
  1. Contact Us - Choose Locations
  2. USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE
  3. Proceed from there, as necessary

Nov 24, 2019 10:43 PM in response to hosseinmx

hossienmx Said:

Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?

If you purchased this from Apple, locate your nearest local Apple Store and take this phone in for a “Genius Bar Appointment". There, its hardware and pre-settings would be looked at. So, take it into the Apple Store and see if this can be deemed a faulty device.

Your have a one-year limited warranty. So, most certainly look into this further, by taking it in for a Genius Bar Appointment, and mentioned above.

Nov 24, 2019 10:18 PM in response to hosseinmx

Dear hossienmx,

Thanks for posting your problem in Apple Discussions. You came to the right place !. I am sorry to hear that you are having troubles with your new MacBook Pro and no, this is not normal. I think your Mac is defective. Please try to call Apple Support ASAP and tell them your problem. If you are still in the 14 days refund policy, you can ask them to bring you a whole new MacBook Pro with no charge at all !. Contact them now on Official Apple Support.

I hope that I helped you today.

Sincerely,

OK4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.