Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook charger and macbook gets hot while charging.

When charging (from 15% to 94), and using it at the same time (light web browsing), the charger head, power adapter (brick), and the mac itself get pretty hot(though the fans aren't spinning or anything) specifically the part of the mac where the charger is plugged in, the left and right palm rest, and the underside of the mac. Though the side where the charger is plugged in seems to be the hottest spot.

Is this normal? I'm getting pretty worried, but I don't know if I should be.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 12:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 5:32 PM

Hello Cyflor-N-Ac,

Yes, it is normal for chargers and devices to warm up while in the process of charging. If you're also using the device while it is charging, then you'll definitely notice it warming up.

If you're using the computer while it is connected to the charger, you'll want to make sure you're using it on a hard surface like a desk or table so it can get adequate ventilation. A Mac also has built in thermal protection and temperature limits. If the device reaches a temperature that exceeds its designed operating range then it will stop charging until the temperature reaches an acceptable level again.

You can find more info on Mac operating temperatures here: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2022 5:32 PM in response to Cyflor-N-Ac

Hello Cyflor-N-Ac,

Yes, it is normal for chargers and devices to warm up while in the process of charging. If you're also using the device while it is charging, then you'll definitely notice it warming up.

If you're using the computer while it is connected to the charger, you'll want to make sure you're using it on a hard surface like a desk or table so it can get adequate ventilation. A Mac also has built in thermal protection and temperature limits. If the device reaches a temperature that exceeds its designed operating range then it will stop charging until the temperature reaches an acceptable level again.

You can find more info on Mac operating temperatures here: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

Cheers!

My macbook charger and macbook gets hot while charging.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.