Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing

Can I use family sharing but still each member of the family use his/her own appel id? The adults only want to share storage but not the purchases (and the billing of it) while purchase of the kids will be share with mijn, is this also possible?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 1:21 PM

To use a family sharing, each person must have their own Apple ID. You don’t have to share purchases if you don’t want to do so, but one person, the organizer, must be responsible for all payments and must have a credit card or debit card that can be used for payment. However, if each family members redeems their own iTunes gift cards, and as along as each member has a sufficient balance in the Apple ID from gift cards, the organizer’s card will not be used for purchases. So in essence, each member can pay for their own purchases but only by using gift cards.

The iCloud storage must be paid by the family organizer but the organizer can also redeem gift cards to use for iCloud storage payments.

Even the kids can pay for their own purchases if they use gift cards, but you will still have to have a credit or debit card on file as a method of payment if you are the organizer.

My family has been using Family Sharing and we all redeem gift cards so my card (I’m the organizer) is never charged for any purchases or for the iCloud Storage.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2019 1:21 PM in response to ben32nl

To use a family sharing, each person must have their own Apple ID. You don’t have to share purchases if you don’t want to do so, but one person, the organizer, must be responsible for all payments and must have a credit card or debit card that can be used for payment. However, if each family members redeems their own iTunes gift cards, and as along as each member has a sufficient balance in the Apple ID from gift cards, the organizer’s card will not be used for purchases. So in essence, each member can pay for their own purchases but only by using gift cards.

The iCloud storage must be paid by the family organizer but the organizer can also redeem gift cards to use for iCloud storage payments.

Even the kids can pay for their own purchases if they use gift cards, but you will still have to have a credit or debit card on file as a method of payment if you are the organizer.

My family has been using Family Sharing and we all redeem gift cards so my card (I’m the organizer) is never charged for any purchases or for the iCloud Storage.

Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.