Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install extensions in Safari

I can't install any extensions in Safari- After clicking on the Get button which leads to the Install button, I see the Get button reappearing and I don't see the extension appearing in Safari's Preferences/ Extensions to approve of.

I'm using MacOS Catalina 10.15.1 and Safari 3.0.3 (15608.3.10.1.4), Macbook Pro 13 early 2015

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 10:08 AM

After December 2018, Safari extensions are installed by downloading an application, and then running that application which installs the extension. Look in your /Applications folder for new applications as a result of these Get activities in the Mac App Store. It should be as simple as running these applications and quitting them. Then check for the extension in Safari's Preferences.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 10:08 AM in response to sizmo7

After December 2018, Safari extensions are installed by downloading an application, and then running that application which installs the extension. Look in your /Applications folder for new applications as a result of these Get activities in the Mac App Store. It should be as simple as running these applications and quitting them. Then check for the extension in Safari's Preferences.

Nov 27, 2019 5:03 AM in response to sizmo7

What does the extension vendor site say about installation? I believe Apple has removed all Extensions from the Mac App Store that attempted to install the old, incompatible .safariextz extensions — unless you are attempting to install from outside the Mac App Store, these should not be an issue.

I am only installing one extension (Ad and Stuff Blocker) and it downloads as an application into my Applications folder, so that is my context.

Nov 28, 2019 9:05 PM in response to VikingOSX

I've tried installing a few extensions but they just don't install or say anything about installation. Is there a setting in Mac OS or Safari that prevents installation of extensions? I'm installing extensions from the Mac App Store and I also have Ad Blocker installed. All the other old extensions are now gone. Why Apple? I'm trying to install Turn Off the Lights for Safari because Dark Mode doesn't darken all the webpages when viewed in Safari.

Can't install extensions in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.