Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't update my Macbook Air because the appstore won't open

I currently have a Macbook Air (2014) with OS X Yosemite (10.10.5). I have been trying to do a software update for awhile now which requires the app store. For some reason my app store app won't open at all. The app will bounce for a couple of seconds but no window will pop up. I've tried a variety of things from restarting, moving things around, deleting some things based off of recommendations from other related threads but I've had no luck. Does anyone know a way to fix this myself or am I going to have to bring it into an Apple store? Any suggestions are welcome, thank you.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 10:44 PM

What things have you moved around, and what things have you deleted, that sounds a bit worrying.

Try starting up in Safe Mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac – Apple Support

You could also install this, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1832?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

it does not matter that your Mac is already running 10.10.5, installing this over what you have already

got is fine it will not affect your data (but do a backup anyway) it will reset some system files and caches.

What update are you trying to do. If you are trying to install a newer Operating System that is called an Upgrade.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 10:44 PM in response to hmln

What things have you moved around, and what things have you deleted, that sounds a bit worrying.

Try starting up in Safe Mode, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac – Apple Support

You could also install this, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1832?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

it does not matter that your Mac is already running 10.10.5, installing this over what you have already

got is fine it will not affect your data (but do a backup anyway) it will reset some system files and caches.

What update are you trying to do. If you are trying to install a newer Operating System that is called an Upgrade.

I can't update my Macbook Air because the appstore won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.