Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my warranty voided if I add more ram

Is my warranty voided if I add more ram to an iMac?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 7:43 AM

Depends on the model and how you add it.

For the 5K iMac in your tag line, no, warranty is not voided. The 5K iMac has a hatch on the back to access the RAM slots and RAM upgrades are supported by Apple and do not void warranty.

See here: Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

For the 4K 21.5" iMacs, there is no hatch, and upgrading of RAM requires it be taken apart. Unless its done by an Apple Authorized service provider, it will void the Warranty.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 7:43 AM in response to cornerjd1

Depends on the model and how you add it.

For the 5K iMac in your tag line, no, warranty is not voided. The 5K iMac has a hatch on the back to access the RAM slots and RAM upgrades are supported by Apple and do not void warranty.

See here: Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

For the 4K 21.5" iMacs, there is no hatch, and upgrading of RAM requires it be taken apart. Unless its done by an Apple Authorized service provider, it will void the Warranty.

Nov 27, 2019 8:10 AM in response to cornerjd1

Phil0124 is 100% correct.

Adding that, Mac are seriously picky when it comes to RAM upgrades.

If you have a 27" iMac with a user upgradable RAM compartment, then I suggest only purchasing RAM modules directly from either OWCmacsales.com or Crucial.com.

If you have a 21.5" iMac that is not user upgradable, then I suggest having an AASP upgrade the RAM or replace it with a model that has more RAM.

Is my warranty voided if I add more ram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.