You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

canon ts8320 printer problems

I am unable to scan from Canon Pixma TS9020. Canon technical support tried everything to assist. Reinstalled software update, reset printer, shutdown computer and printer. I need to be able to scan.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 2:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 9:58 AM

Apple's AirPrint is wired/wireless printing only. It does not address scanning at all in the preceding article. I suspect that you had a Canon 32-bit TS9020 scanner driver installed, and once you upgraded to Catalina, it was not longer compatible, as only 64-bit drivers work. Image Capture needs a compatible scanner driver to work and the error code came from Image Capture, not Catalina.

With AirPrint and VueScan, you have complete Canon independence in case they choose not to upgrade your scanner driver to 64-bit.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2019 9:58 AM in response to Morituri

Apple's AirPrint is wired/wireless printing only. It does not address scanning at all in the preceding article. I suspect that you had a Canon 32-bit TS9020 scanner driver installed, and once you upgraded to Catalina, it was not longer compatible, as only 64-bit drivers work. Image Capture needs a compatible scanner driver to work and the error code came from Image Capture, not Catalina.

With AirPrint and VueScan, you have complete Canon independence in case they choose not to upgrade your scanner driver to 64-bit.

Nov 27, 2019 2:29 PM in response to janetfromdelton

If you are at the end of the road with Canon support, the paid, non-subscription, 64-bit VueScan software supports your scanner without any Canon software or drivers necessary.

I have owned VueScan Professional since 2010 and continue to use it with a long abandoned Canon scanner. I also do not receive any benefits from the VueScan vendor for mentioning their product here. It is simply less expensive than a new scanner.

Dec 1, 2019 9:42 AM in response to janetfromdelton

The printer should print and scan via AirPrint. It's a fault with Catalina.

I currently have a canon TS9150. It worked perfectly, both for scanning and printing using AirPrint under Mojave.

Now, having done a fresh install of Catalina, it will only print. Trying to scan via System Preferences / Printers & Scanners or using Image Capture results in a "Failed To Open A Connection To The Device (-21355) error.

Using VueScan and the IOS app results in the scanner performing as expected.

Therefore, there is an issue with Catalina internals and the built in scanning functionality.

canon ts8320 printer problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.