Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant open photo library

I exported all my photos and videos from Six "PHOTOS" libraries into a folder to later import and create one "Home Library".

I had called APPLE Support and ask this question:

"When open PHOTOS, I would get a tutorial page NOT the library."

-APPLE response: "the reason is your "HOME LIBRARY" is in an external drive which is turned off... the computer can not access to it." Which was correct!

I was the told, and walked through, how to create a Single "HOME LIBRARY". I EXPORTED all my Photos in a folder, IMPORTED all photos into one library and put that "HOME LIBRARY" onto my internal hard drive so it could be recognized easily. .. I does not open!

It now shows an empty Library (as you see in the photo i provided) even though my HOME LIBRARY in on my internal hard drive..

Why is my new photo library not being recognized?! Thanks All

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 9:10 AM

Did you move that Library after having created it on the external. If so, you need to tell Photos where it is.

Hold down the Option key when you open Photos. That will have it ask you which library to use.

Once opened, set it as the System Library in Photos Preferences.

You can store your library on an external drive, but just make sure it is mounted before opening Photos, and make sure it remains mounted while using it.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2019 9:10 AM in response to jeffg59

Did you move that Library after having created it on the external. If so, you need to tell Photos where it is.

Hold down the Option key when you open Photos. That will have it ask you which library to use.

Once opened, set it as the System Library in Photos Preferences.

You can store your library on an external drive, but just make sure it is mounted before opening Photos, and make sure it remains mounted while using it.

cant open photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.