Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music displays Existing and "Missing" Songs (which really exist & can play)

When Apple Music displays Songs that are Existing & "Missing" Songs, how does one Delete the "Missing Songs" which actually exist; this means both the Existing & Missing are really pointing to the same file, but stating that one of the two are missing. To be more specific, if you click on a "Missing Song," the Song will play. Then you have Duplicate Songs in both Song & Playlists.

This is an Important issue because after upgrading to the latest version of macOS (Catalina), which eliminated iTunes, I needed to import my playlists (from backup). And being a DJ, this makes things extremely difficult to delete every other file from my playlists.

Again, because I'm a DJ, I cannot go through my entire library of over xx,xxx songs, which now displays twice the amount of xx,xxx, and delete every single duplicate one individually.

I've attempted to remove and import the playlists multiple times, and also deleted the song files and imported the files again.

What can be done to resolve this issue?

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 9:41 PM

I've found a resolution to my own issue:

1. Delete All existing files affiliated with the Music's Library (Before deletion, backup the existing Library for safety purposes).
  2. Reset Music's Library, without any files Library present (including Trash).
  3. This allows Music to create a New Music Library.
  4. The new Music Library file is not a classic XML, it's now Music Library.musiclibrary.
  5. File Transfers can now be Completed without duplication of files.

Also, Smart Playlists, can now be more easily converted to Regular Playlists.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2019 9:41 PM in response to showprolights

I've found a resolution to my own issue:

1. Delete All existing files affiliated with the Music's Library (Before deletion, backup the existing Library for safety purposes).
  2. Reset Music's Library, without any files Library present (including Trash).
  3. This allows Music to create a New Music Library.
  4. The new Music Library file is not a classic XML, it's now Music Library.musiclibrary.
  5. File Transfers can now be Completed without duplication of files.

Also, Smart Playlists, can now be more easily converted to Regular Playlists.

Music displays Existing and "Missing" Songs (which really exist & can play)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.