Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Safari Passwords Window Locks Too Fast

When adding new passwords to my Mac Safari Passwords profile, I must unlock it at least twice before I am able to type all of the info for the newly added website. This is quite frustrating, as I have many website login details to add from my previous Mac that for some reason did not get imported from the migration process. I am using Safari Version 13.0.3 on macOS Catalina Version 10.15.1 - can someone explain to me how to slow done the auto-lock timer for the Safari Passwords window? Thank you!

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 9:31 AM

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2019 9:31 AM in response to rbfromar

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Nov 29, 2019 4:03 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, thank you for the quick reply! I created an alternate Admin account, logged into it, and the Safari Password screen still auto-locks within 15-20 seconds. Same issue with Safe Mode login. It will auto-lock as I am typing a new website login for it to save - resulting in at least 2 times to unlock the password window before being able to save even one new password. I can't believe that there is not a setting somewhere that allows the user to adjust how long this window remains open. At the very least it should not auto-lock while a new password is being typed for input. How long does your Safari Password window remain open before auto-locking?

Nov 30, 2019 2:27 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric, I was able to replicate your test. It would appear that a timer is triggered to auto-lock the password window as soon as another window assumes the forefront - including the "ADD" another web/password window - then it auto-locks after approximately 20 seconds. Even if I am able to add another web/password within the 20 second time-frame and return to the main password window (as the forefront), the timer will still auto-lock the window. It would be helpful if the "ADD" another website/password would not trigger the timer. Thank you for your assistance in helping to figure out the issue.

Mac Safari Passwords Window Locks Too Fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.