Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering and restoring files using Time Machine

I have been lazy with backing up to hard driver several months !!! BUT when I stupidly deleted some files (including deleting from Trash!) I was able to enter time machine and view files (at variety of times over past 24 hrs) and restore them

Was obviously delighted ....... WHERE were the old files stored??

Have Mojave

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 7:25 AM

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

You got lucky, but I would strongly recommend attaching your external drive and letting TM do its hourly backups.

8 replies

Nov 29, 2019 6:29 AM in response to mikeenigma

Time machine works really hard to maintain the directory structure of the original drive when the files are saved. That way it can put them back exactly where they used to be.

Check the date on a file before and after you restore it from backup. You will see that by default the older file REPLACES the missing or damaged file, unless you specify otherwise.

Nov 29, 2019 7:20 AM in response to GallenteCitizen3141

Thanks, I had read this article. It refers to the use of an external drive though. Have done this in past. On this occasion, my external drive back up was 18 months ago and therefore of no value in recovering records that I update on a frequent basis. Of interest to me was the fact that Time machine was pulling up files from a 'back up. it had carried out and hour before I totally lost my files. No external drive connected. Does time machines do back ups to the hard drive? If so, how often? Disc Space ??

Nov 29, 2019 7:28 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant

I could see that old files old (1 hr back from my stupid mass deletion!!) were replaced using the date at time of recovery. Was just wondering where the old files were held. Articles always refer to backing up to external drive. BUT in this case, no external drive in place. Time Machine mu be carrying out back ups and storing Is this to the mac's internal HD? NO article that I have read states that this is possible ... always referring to use of external drive.

Not savvy on all of this stuff .... just VERY confused and curious !

Recovering and restoring files using Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.