Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Helvetica Neue system font in Catalina causing clashes with Adobe Helvetica Neue

I use Adobe Helvetica Neue family regularly. Since upgrading to Catalina I'm getting clashes with the system versions of the same font – which I can no longer disable.

I need to use my version so that I can pass files to my client using their typeface.

I've read that the system fonts can be removed by booting from another Catalina startup disk but I don't have means to do this.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom to help me please?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 6:39 AM

The only way to remove fonts installed by the OS in Catalina is to boot to another OS, then remove the unwanted/unneeded fonts from the non-startup drive.

Well, I think you can do it from Terminal, but I haven't tested that yet. And that depends on how old your Mac is.

Older Macs can do a Single User mode startup (Command+S) where you simply end up at a Unix command line. From there, if you know how, you can navigate to any drive and folder, and delete anything.

If you attempt a Single User user mode startup on newer Macs with the security chip, it looks the same to start with (lots of white text on black background scrolling by). But when it gets to the point where you would have the Unix command line, the Mac simply drops to the desktop of the designated startup drive. The closest you can get to Single User on these Macs is a Recovery Mode start and run Terminal from there.

You don't have to boot to another Catalina drive. It can be any other older OS your Mac supports.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 6:39 AM in response to Wee_Vee

The only way to remove fonts installed by the OS in Catalina is to boot to another OS, then remove the unwanted/unneeded fonts from the non-startup drive.

Well, I think you can do it from Terminal, but I haven't tested that yet. And that depends on how old your Mac is.

Older Macs can do a Single User mode startup (Command+S) where you simply end up at a Unix command line. From there, if you know how, you can navigate to any drive and folder, and delete anything.

If you attempt a Single User user mode startup on newer Macs with the security chip, it looks the same to start with (lots of white text on black background scrolling by). But when it gets to the point where you would have the Unix command line, the Mac simply drops to the desktop of the designated startup drive. The closest you can get to Single User on these Macs is a Recovery Mode start and run Terminal from there.

You don't have to boot to another Catalina drive. It can be any other older OS your Mac supports.

Helvetica Neue system font in Catalina causing clashes with Adobe Helvetica Neue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.