Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heart Rate Measurements using Apple Model 4 Watch

My heart rate as measured by my Apple 4 watch is consistently higher than that measured using several blood pressure measurement devices, and that measured in the doctor’s office. What is anyone else’s experience?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 8:04 AM

In my experience, the measurements taken with these different devices are based on different time periods. The Watch measurement is almost immediate, and if you watch it, it will change frequently as you measure. I've not seen it really off too much, unless you start moving around too much, which will cause your rate to go up slightly, but short measurements of that will make it look a little higher than others.

I used to work in EMS, and when in a hurry you measured a pulse for 15 seconds, and then multiplied by 4 to get the number of beats per minute. That is assuming the rate stays the same. That is not always true. Everything else that makes measurements is doing the same thing, The only true measurement of your heart rate for a minute is to measure for a minute. If you feel yours is way off, check to make sure the back of the watch is not dirty, check to ensure that your watch is secure on the wrist.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2019 8:04 AM in response to Supermet

In my experience, the measurements taken with these different devices are based on different time periods. The Watch measurement is almost immediate, and if you watch it, it will change frequently as you measure. I've not seen it really off too much, unless you start moving around too much, which will cause your rate to go up slightly, but short measurements of that will make it look a little higher than others.

I used to work in EMS, and when in a hurry you measured a pulse for 15 seconds, and then multiplied by 4 to get the number of beats per minute. That is assuming the rate stays the same. That is not always true. Everything else that makes measurements is doing the same thing, The only true measurement of your heart rate for a minute is to measure for a minute. If you feel yours is way off, check to make sure the back of the watch is not dirty, check to ensure that your watch is secure on the wrist.

Heart Rate Measurements using Apple Model 4 Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.