Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina killing my 500GB SD storage

When will they fix Catalina from using 90% of my 500GB SD?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 4:55 PM

MacBook Pro with 500GB storage. Went from Mojave to Catalina and most of my 500gb storage is now greyed out. Reading on line this is one of the worst things that Catalina does. Newer Mac and do not have hardly anything on it and now that Catalina has set aside 90% of my storage for itself is pretty bad.

17 replies

Nov 30, 2019 12:25 PM in response to PeaceKeeper0561

Ok, there's the issue. Something went amiss with the installation. Your Mac should not have multiple "Macintosh HD - Data" volumes ... only one. We have seen this on a number of posts here.

At this point, you should make sure that you have a good backup. Then you have a few choices:

1. Use Recovery Mode to first completely erase the drive, and then, install a clean copy of macOS Catalina. (recommended)
  2. Attempt to delete the extra Macintosh HD - Data volumes. This can be performed with the Disk Utility in Recovery Mode.

Nov 30, 2019 6:00 AM in response to PeaceKeeper0561

APFS has an unusual way of handling storage. That a portion is greyed out does not mean that is used. Every write to SSD takes a hit on its usable life, so APFS minimises the writes, but confuses expert and novice alike in the way it is presented to us.

If you truly need to resolve the anomaly you can force Spotlight to reindex. I did and my grey space became "vacant" again

Nov 30, 2019 9:19 AM in response to PeaceKeeper0561

Ok, looks like Lurkums has addressed this.

If you were running macOS Mojave before, most likely, the OS reformatted your Mac's system drive for APFS. When you then performed a clean install of macOS Catalina, the OS further created two volumes that you can see in the image you provided. The first volume, Macintosh HD, is read-only and contains the basic macOS operating system files. The second volume, Macintosh HD - Data, is read/write and contains some common system files, but mostly your apps and data.

Both of these volumes reside in a single APFS container. Think of the container analogous to the older partition concept. The advantage of using containers is that it allows for multiple volumes to reside inside of it. Yet each volume can grow (or shrink) as required. This is not something volumes could have done with the older operating systems. The "hashed" areas represent that "growth" area.

Bottom line? Catalina is NOT "killing" your system drive, it is actually using it more efficiently.

Nov 30, 2019 12:21 PM in response to woodmeister50

The command that woodmeister50 has provided you should result with something like:

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme 500 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI NNN.N MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 500 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: APFS Container Scheme - Physical Store disk0s2 500 GB disk1

1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD NNN.N GB disk1s1

2: APFS Volume Preboot NNN.N MB disk1s2

3: APFS Volume Recovery NNN.N MB disk1s3

4: APFS Volume VM N.N GB disk1s4

Does it?

Catalina killing my 500GB SD storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.