Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound right speaker iMac

Hello,

I'm not getting any sound out of my right external speaker with my iMac. I have done the following:

Checked the balance in System Preferences>Sound

Ensured that mono is not enabled in System Preferences>Accessibility

Reset NVRAM

Reset SMC

Checked output in the Audio MIDI Setup app

The problem persists whether I connect the external speakers via 1/8" audio cable, USB, or Bluetooth.

When I use the internal speaker I get both channels. I know both channels are working with the internal speakers by by playing an audio file with completely separate instruments in each channel. With the internal speakers I hear both instruments. With the external I only hear one instrument.

This is a late 2015 iMac running Sierra 10.12.6.

The speakers are AudioEngine 2+.

I appreciate any suggestions/advice beyond what I've already tried.

Thanks!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 4:37 PM

8 replies

Nov 30, 2019 3:28 PM in response to MyCatTom

MyCatTom Said:

The AudioEngine used to work, then over a period of time one sounded distorted, and then it stopped working altogether.

———-

Malware/Adware:

What have you done most recently prior to this occurrence? Did you install new software or attach new hardware?

Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

Nov 30, 2019 3:06 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the suggestion.

Both channels work with headphones and through internal speakers. I've tried two sets of external speakers and the problem persists. The external speakers work fine with my MacBook.

The AudioEngine used to work, then over a period of time one sounded distorted, and then it stopped working altogether. I'm mystified.

Nov 30, 2019 6:06 PM in response to MyCatTom

MyCatTom wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome!

Both channels work with headphones and through internal speakers. I've tried two sets of external speakers and the problem persists. The external speakers work fine with my MacBook.

Again, that sounds like a problem with the AudioEngine speaker system or a connection and not the iMac.

The AudioEngine used to work, then over a period of time one sounded distorted, and then it stopped working altogether. I'm mystified.

Personally I would get and try a different speaker system.

FWIW I've had my Creative Inspire 2.1 speaker system for quite sometime and it still works fine.

Some other good choices, are at > https://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/computer-speakers?filters=4080

Dec 1, 2019 10:00 AM in response to MyCatTom

MyCatTom wrote:

Thank you to all who replied.

You're welcome!

After much swapping of two sets of speakers on several computers on two platforms the problem did turn out to be a bad send from the active speaker.

Yea' when you said the headphones worked on both channels, that was a pretty clear sign that the problem was with the speaker system.

No sound right speaker iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.