Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Update Carrier Settings

I have to update my carrier settings. I know this, because I've been notified about it. When I do however in fact get this notification that explains what it is and why I need to do it- it links to a website. An official apple support website that explains what I have to do to update my carrier settings. It tells me to plug it into my Mac and check for updates while holding the command button. Doesn't work. Command, Option, left click- nothing. Command right click, nothing. I turn to other websites. They tell me to go to Settings>General>About and wait for a notification- nothing. Iv'e tried everything. I don't think that it's because my antenna is broken because then I won't be getting notified to update my carrier settings, right? I'm not sure, but I'm out of options. I can't even schedule a call with Apple Support because my data doesn't work. Please get back to me as soon as possible. Thank you for everything.

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 12:08 AM

There are two major Updates in an iPhone / iPad:

1. iOS Update (Recommended): Released by Apple Inc basically for improvements, security and bug fixes. My 10 years of experience says, it has no affect on Data, Calls & SMSs if not updated
  2. Carrier Update (Required): Released by your Cellular Service provider (Carrier Update), affects your Outgoing / Incoming calls, SMS, Data etc..

How to Update Carrier Settings

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps: Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to update iOS

Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates, then turn off AutomaticUpdates. At any time, you can check for and install software updates. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. The screen shows the currently installed version of iOS and whether an update is available.

Update iOS software on iPhone - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 12:08 AM in response to bigpineappleman

There are two major Updates in an iPhone / iPad:

1. iOS Update (Recommended): Released by Apple Inc basically for improvements, security and bug fixes. My 10 years of experience says, it has no affect on Data, Calls & SMSs if not updated
  2. Carrier Update (Required): Released by your Cellular Service provider (Carrier Update), affects your Outgoing / Incoming calls, SMS, Data etc..

How to Update Carrier Settings

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps: Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to update iOS

Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates, then turn off AutomaticUpdates. At any time, you can check for and install software updates. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. The screen shows the currently installed version of iOS and whether an update is available.

Update iOS software on iPhone - Apple Support

Cannot Update Carrier Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.