Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microphone icon in macbook pro

I have a microphone icon on my macbook and im just a little bit scared what it means? and how do i turn it off? its beside Help button. please see below on the image I attached here. and for some reason, I cant click anything but mute on the icon but it doesnt work. i no longer use meet, its been a few weeks since I did, thats why im wondering why it still says that here and its not clickable.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 8:26 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 3, 2019 12:45 PM in response to supermom2019

Hello supermom2019,

Thanks for posting your question. I understand you have a concern about a microphone icon that's appearing in your menu bar.

To clarify, do you only see this when you're using the Chrome app, or is it always there? The icon doesn't look like the kind you'd see with Siri or Voice Control and it mentions "Website Using Microphone," so it sounds probable it could relate to Google Chrome or Meet.

Have you made sure you don't have any tabs open in Chrome that relate to Meet?

If you quit Chrome fully, does the icon disappear?

I hope this helps get you started. Take care.

Dec 3, 2019 6:22 PM in response to Joseph_S.

no i dont have a google meet tab open. i cant close my current tabs/chrome because i have a work that needs to be done. and the meet isnt clickable on the drop down whenever i click the mic. Right now, it's always here. but i only noticed it during the last two weeks when i had my last google meet convo. BUT Again i checked, theres no open tab for google meet. i checked all browsers, nothing.

Dec 3, 2019 6:34 PM in response to Joseph_S.

no i dont have a google meet tab open. i cant close my current tabs/chrome because i have a work that needs to be done. and the meet isnt clickable on the drop down whenever i click the mic. Right now, it's always here. but i only noticed it during the last two weeks when i had my last google meet convo. BUT Again i checked, theres no open tab for google meet. i checked all browsers, nothing.

additional info: there was actually a problem with the mic in chrome while we did the google meet a few weeks before so I had to access safari in order for us to do the conversation in google meet. Safari isn't open now/doesnt have any tabs. I dont know what going on with my chrome. all the letters/any sites are bigger than normal, i needed to make a new user in my laptop in order for the scale back to normal in the new one. I still havent fixed the issue in my "now user" in the bigger scale/zoom in chrome. tried everything possible, even chat with apple for help but they also dont know the answer. tried zooming in/out but the normal scale feature is the one i have now. Sorry, its really hard to explain while writing. and its been a few weeks that I cant even watch or play videos from the company i work for in chrome (before I can play them through chrome) so i need to switch to safari in order for me to play it.

also additional info: i went to my other user and theres no google meet open there as well and the mic icon doesnt show there.

microphone icon in macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.