Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

says phone needs update to activate

Have an old iphone, factory reset. I can't set it up (want to use it as an ipod basically) because I'm getting a 'Unable to Activate-an update is required to activate your iPhone' message. Plugged it into itunes but it's not giving me an option to update

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 8:39 AM

You must have a SIM card in the phone to activate it. If the phone is carrier-locked it must be a SIM for that carrier, however, it can be a deactivated SIM.

After you've got the SIM in the phone connect it to your computer with the USB cable, then click on its icon in iTunes. You should see an option to update or restore the phone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 8:39 AM in response to ned130

You must have a SIM card in the phone to activate it. If the phone is carrier-locked it must be a SIM for that carrier, however, it can be a deactivated SIM.

After you've got the SIM in the phone connect it to your computer with the USB cable, then click on its icon in iTunes. You should see an option to update or restore the phone.

says phone needs update to activate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.