Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to a jpg image when I export it as a TIFF?

I've just learned that for a few years, my iPhone has taken photos as HEIC files. However, I have lots of older JPG photos. Let's say I select a JPG image from my Photos library and export it to a folder in Finder as a TIFF, then import the shiny new TIFF back into my Photos library. "Info" for the original image in my library says its 3.4 MB (2400 x 1920). In Finder, I see the exported TIFF version is now 13.8 MB (2400 x 1920).

My questions—

• If a JPG has lost data from compression, from where does the converter recover the lost data to rebuild the image as a TIFF? In a manner of speaking, where does the converter collect all that missing pixel dust?
    • The file size as TIFF is much greater, but the number of pixels remains the same. What's the advantage of TIFF over JPG if the pixel count doesn't change?

I ask because I'm about to start a new Motiv project. Motiv seems to prefer TIFF or PNG file formats over JPGs because those more robust formats yield a better quality project. Can I expect better results if I convert selected JPGs to TIFF or PNG and use those images instead of the original JPGs?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 12:49 AM

Can I expect better results if I convert selected JPGs to TIFF or PNG and use those images instead of the original JPGs?

Probably not. Once an image has been converted to a JPEG, you will have lost image quality and detail, and added JPEG artifacts. The JPEG format is saving storage by storing only an approximation of the original image. There is no way to recover the lost detail. Converting a JPEG image to TIFF will just prevent additional downgrading the image, when you edit it. If you want to work with TIFF images, the TIFF will be most useful, if you save the image as a TIFF right from the sensor after taking the photo and keep it a TIFF image, while you are adding adjustments.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2019 12:49 AM in response to Lucas1948

Can I expect better results if I convert selected JPGs to TIFF or PNG and use those images instead of the original JPGs?

Probably not. Once an image has been converted to a JPEG, you will have lost image quality and detail, and added JPEG artifacts. The JPEG format is saving storage by storing only an approximation of the original image. There is no way to recover the lost detail. Converting a JPEG image to TIFF will just prevent additional downgrading the image, when you edit it. If you want to work with TIFF images, the TIFF will be most useful, if you save the image as a TIFF right from the sensor after taking the photo and keep it a TIFF image, while you are adding adjustments.

Nov 30, 2019 11:57 PM in response to Lucas1948

The thing to remember about Jpeg is that it's a compression format, not an image format. So, no the Jpeg has not lost data. When you open the jpeg the image is decompressed for viewing. When a Jpeg loses data is if you edit it. Then it's recompressed. Theoretically, you could edit a jpeg to nothing.

TIFF is not a compressed format. That's why the file is so big. The advantage is that TIFF can be edited and no extra data is lost. The disadvantage is the storage cost from the file sizes.

What happens to a jpg image when I export it as a TIFF?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.