Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is HDR superior to JPG when digitizing 24 x 36 mm camera slides?

Is HDR superior to JPG when digitizing 24 x 36 mm camera slides? I have copied slides with my iPhone 7 in HDR Mode and then convert them to JPG files. The result is that the JPG iles appear to have better color saturation and sharper edges than the HEIC parent. These are important features when converting old and faded Kodachrome slides for digital storage in Ventura 13.1 Photos app.

Does anyone have similar experience?

iPhone 7

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 12:51 AM

For HDR three things are to consider, the sharpness, and the photometric resolution and the colour resolution.

• The sharpness should be the same for HDR mode or normal mode, provided the camera is fixed to tripod when taking the photo. As you know, a HDR image is a fusion of more than one photo, and you will get the best sharpness, if the camera does not move while taking the exposure series. Otherwise you might get ghostly motion blur, particularly, if the slides are very grainy or there are scratches and dust.
  • The photometric resolution will be much better for the HDR version - you will get more detail in the shadows and the highlight. This will give an impression of a sharper image, but also might create artifical structures in smooth regions, like the sky.
  • HDR will bring out more colours in the shadows and the highlights. It might look unnatural, as the colours tend to be very saturated. YOu may need to adjust the saturation afterwards.

While I still had my iPhone 5s, where I could set the Camera to keep both the normal version and the HDR version, I compared both the normal and the HDR photos for each photo and kept the most pleasing one. It depends on the kind of scene, which will be best.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2023 12:51 AM in response to samueljlevine

For HDR three things are to consider, the sharpness, and the photometric resolution and the colour resolution.

• The sharpness should be the same for HDR mode or normal mode, provided the camera is fixed to tripod when taking the photo. As you know, a HDR image is a fusion of more than one photo, and you will get the best sharpness, if the camera does not move while taking the exposure series. Otherwise you might get ghostly motion blur, particularly, if the slides are very grainy or there are scratches and dust.
  • The photometric resolution will be much better for the HDR version - you will get more detail in the shadows and the highlight. This will give an impression of a sharper image, but also might create artifical structures in smooth regions, like the sky.
  • HDR will bring out more colours in the shadows and the highlights. It might look unnatural, as the colours tend to be very saturated. YOu may need to adjust the saturation afterwards.

While I still had my iPhone 5s, where I could set the Camera to keep both the normal version and the HDR version, I compared both the normal and the HDR photos for each photo and kept the most pleasing one. It depends on the kind of scene, which will be best.

Is HDR superior to JPG when digitizing 24 x 36 mm camera slides?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.