Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC polling external monitors when asleep with catalina

I have a 2017 MAC Pro 4port USB-C machine connected to a HDMI splitter and the other side of the splitter runs to a windows machine. Everything works well except for the fact that when the MAC is asleep (is stone cold so definitively asleep), it seemingly polls the HDMI port resulting in the splitter switching to the MAC even when the MAC is asleep. This has occurred since mid Mojave days but did not occur on High Sierra. I had been thinking eventually it would be fixed but its an entire release later and this polling behaviour continues to exist. What is required to stop the MAC from polling external monitors when it is asleep? Even better why is it polling for external displays when it is asleep?

I have another Catalina specific issue but I'll ask that separately.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 11:16 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 4, 2019 11:07 AM in response to BradSP

Hey there BradSP,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having an issue between your Mac and external monitors. I’ll be happy to help.

To verify, does this issue continue to occur in safe mode or a new admin user account? If you’re not sure, try both using the steps from these links:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Also, try directly connecting the monitor without using the splitter and see if this helps. You may be able to find some other helpful steps in this link:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

Let me know if this helps.

Dec 4, 2019 12:09 PM in response to Chris_D13

Thanks for the suggestion.

Note that this problem only became visible post Mojave 10.14.5. I can rol back to High Sierra and there is no problems. I would actially love to roll back to 10.14.5 but thats simple not possible as we know. I do have a 2018 MAC Pro that is running 10.14.5 and it has no issues. Most of the external monitor issues commenced with the supplementary updates to 10.14.6 which resulted in things like the WindowServer process going high CPU when night shift was enabled as the kernel tried to switch resolutions every 1ms. (See my previous Apple tickets). The resolution to this issue via apple engineers was to disable nigh shoft and wait for Catalina. While Catalina has fixed the night shift issue it seems to have introduced 2 new issues and not addressed the polling issue from 10.14.6. I have posted these to the community.

I'll try Safe mode when I do not need to use the MAC for work functions as its not a mode I can run in during business hours for obvious reasons.

With regards to plugging the monitor directly into the MAC and seeing if the problem persists this is simply not possible unless i get an external HDMI type tester to see if there is a signal. As stated, the MAC is asleep, there is no display, the MAC polls the external monitor but neither the monitor or MAC every displays anything as the MAC is asleep. The polling causes the splitter to switch computers however. Upon the switch i end up with a blank screen because the MAC is asleep and not doing anything. Hope that explains why this suggestion is simply impossible to execute upon.

If Apple can get the OS back to a state where external monitor connection is stable and functional I don;t think I will be upgrading the OS ever again until the MAC is retired from a business use. The unreliability of minor updates and the carry over across releases that force major changes I just can not sustain in a business environment.

Thanks for the response. It will be another 16hrs before i can try safe mode.

Dec 13, 2019 3:54 PM in response to BradSP

I can confirm this problem still exists in 10.15.2.

I will try a mac in safe mode asleep when i get the opporunity o not be needing to use it for work. This just keeps continuing for 10.14.6. Seriously thinking High Sierra is the best place to be as none of these issues existed. Apple upgrades these days appear unreliable and break more things than they fix. I like the old it just worked statement but for the last 6 months this just is never the case anymore. Significant shift in quality and stability is a problem. Time to get ready for for xmas reinstall of High Sierra but there is just one problem and thats the firmware update for Catalina will make the weekly check of bios validation fail n Mojave and/or High Sierra guess I need to look at how to disable that check.

MAC polling external monitors when asleep with catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.