Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xebec Dual Monitor USB-C constantly switching sides after emerging from sleep

Hi all,

I have a Xebec Dual Monitor which plugs into my Macbook Pro M1 (OS Monterey 12.5) via USB-C. It seems to randomly switch sides whenever coming out of sleep, and also causes rearranging of my windows. After coming out of sleep, I nearly always need to go to Settings -> Displays to drag and correct the positioning of the monitors so that movement of the mouse visually matches the positions of the monitors. Anyone know how to stop this from happening? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 9:17 AM

TWIN displays:

To determine display names and capabilities, you Mac uses something resembling "plug-and-play". it sends a query to the display, and the display responds with its name, its capabilities, including default and preferred resolutions, and its SERIAL NUMBER. The serial number is how the Mac uniquely tells TWIN displays apart.

<< The displays I have are TWIN displays (both the same make and model). >>

What we have seen here with TWIN displays, sometimes the manufacturers have been sloppy about what field contains the serial number. The Mac uses VESA standard, and if the display-maker does not supply the serial number in the expected field, the Mac can not tell the TWIN displays apart, and they 'swap around'.

Your displays have a design defect. only the display maker can fix this defect, and would have to issue a display firmware update to fix it. you should attempt to pressure them to fix the defect.

as a work around, two different model or different makers will not exhibit this symptom.

additional background information:

the details can be seen using a Utility like SwichResX, which reads out the EDID information the Mac gets back from a query of the device for its name, capabilities, and serial number. in an earlier investigation a User found that the serial number was there, but NOT in the correct field, so the Mac could not tell TWIN displays apart.

Apple has not responded favorably to suggestions that they "accept whatever junk the display provides, whether it meets the accepted standard or not", but you can certainly ask again.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 9:17 AM in response to dave_with_questions

TWIN displays:

To determine display names and capabilities, you Mac uses something resembling "plug-and-play". it sends a query to the display, and the display responds with its name, its capabilities, including default and preferred resolutions, and its SERIAL NUMBER. The serial number is how the Mac uniquely tells TWIN displays apart.

<< The displays I have are TWIN displays (both the same make and model). >>

What we have seen here with TWIN displays, sometimes the manufacturers have been sloppy about what field contains the serial number. The Mac uses VESA standard, and if the display-maker does not supply the serial number in the expected field, the Mac can not tell the TWIN displays apart, and they 'swap around'.

Your displays have a design defect. only the display maker can fix this defect, and would have to issue a display firmware update to fix it. you should attempt to pressure them to fix the defect.

as a work around, two different model or different makers will not exhibit this symptom.

additional background information:

the details can be seen using a Utility like SwichResX, which reads out the EDID information the Mac gets back from a query of the device for its name, capabilities, and serial number. in an earlier investigation a User found that the serial number was there, but NOT in the correct field, so the Mac could not tell TWIN displays apart.

Apple has not responded favorably to suggestions that they "accept whatever junk the display provides, whether it meets the accepted standard or not", but you can certainly ask again.

Xebec Dual Monitor USB-C constantly switching sides after emerging from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.