Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will changing apple ID delete my photos?

As I'm trying to sign out on my iPhone, it states "photos and videos that have been optimized to save space will be removed from this iPhone."

Does this mean my camera roll will be affected? I haven't stored any photos in iCloud.

For background, my father and I were sharing an apple ID and I'm trying to make my own now. Thank you!

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 10:31 PM

The photos in your camera roll will not be removed, when you sign out of your AppleID. But you have to make sure, that you really have not been storing photos in iCloud. After a system update, iCloud Photos may have become enabled, without you noticing it. Please check the Settings.

If iCloud Photos should have been turned on, follow the procedure described here: Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

You can turn off iCloud Photos on a single device when you follow these steps:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photos.*
  • On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud. Next to Photos, click Options, then deselect iCloud Photos.*
  • On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud. Under Photos, press Select to turn off iCloud Photos.*

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photos. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Before you turn off iCloud Photos, you might want to make a copy of your photos and videos.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2019 10:31 PM in response to zwingli_AZ

The photos in your camera roll will not be removed, when you sign out of your AppleID. But you have to make sure, that you really have not been storing photos in iCloud. After a system update, iCloud Photos may have become enabled, without you noticing it. Please check the Settings.

If iCloud Photos should have been turned on, follow the procedure described here: Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

You can turn off iCloud Photos on a single device when you follow these steps:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photos.*
  • On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud. Next to Photos, click Options, then deselect iCloud Photos.*
  • On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud. Under Photos, press Select to turn off iCloud Photos.*

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photos. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Before you turn off iCloud Photos, you might want to make a copy of your photos and videos.

Will changing apple ID delete my photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.