Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Airdrop for 2015 MBP

I'm using a 2015 MBP with Retina. There doesn't appear to be an option for Airdrop under the "Go" menu in Finder. Is something wrong? Is Airdrop not supported on my machine?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 2:14 PM

After wiping my HD and reinstalling the OS, which didn’t solve the problem, I reached out to Apple support for some guidance. They had me reset my NVRAM. The rep mentioned that if that didn’t work, I should try resetting the SMC. Airdrop was restored after resetting the NVRAM, so I didn’t have to reset the SMC.

Just to be clear, this problem was not that Airdrop existed on my computer and was failing to connect to other devices. It was that the app itself wasn’t to be found anywhere on my computer. Since it’s an inbuilt app (i.e., not available via an external download), something else was going on with my computer that caused Airdrop to get lost. Resetting the NVRAM fixed the problem. If you are in a similar situation, make sure you try wiping your HD and reinstalling the OS first.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2019 2:14 PM in response to walkinghedgehog

After wiping my HD and reinstalling the OS, which didn’t solve the problem, I reached out to Apple support for some guidance. They had me reset my NVRAM. The rep mentioned that if that didn’t work, I should try resetting the SMC. Airdrop was restored after resetting the NVRAM, so I didn’t have to reset the SMC.

Just to be clear, this problem was not that Airdrop existed on my computer and was failing to connect to other devices. It was that the app itself wasn’t to be found anywhere on my computer. Since it’s an inbuilt app (i.e., not available via an external download), something else was going on with my computer that caused Airdrop to get lost. Resetting the NVRAM fixed the problem. If you are in a similar situation, make sure you try wiping your HD and reinstalling the OS first.

Dec 3, 2019 2:01 PM in response to razmee209

This is totally a great resource for iOS machines.

But a MacBook Pro uses OSX (which uses these directions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203106). My problem is that there is no “Airdrop” option under Finder>Go or on the sidebar of my Finder windows.

When I Spotlight Search for “Airdrop”, I get an error message reading “The operation can’t be completed because the item can’t be found.“

Dec 7, 2019 3:11 PM in response to leroydouglas

Right, once again this is a solution to a problem that I wasn’t having. Airdrop was not on my computer. It was not in the sidebar of a Finder window. It was not under Finder>Go>Airdrop. When I searched for it using Spotlight, it showed up. But when I clicked to open it, I get an error message that concluded “File not found”.

No Airdrop for 2015 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.