Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need help downloading last software update

I am trying to update my software (currently have Sierra) and haven't been able to do so for the last couple of updates because I have 4 incompatible updates (pages, keynote, numbers and iMovie). How do I get past that?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 7:17 PM

You’re probably on the most recent available update for Sierra, so there’ll be little other than maybe an occasional security patch.

Those incompatible updates are because those apps require later versions of macOS.

Those app updates are unrelated to updates for Sierra.

You can ignore those updates, as will macOS itself.

In Apple macOS usage, upgrades are larger and can be more disruptive and can provide new features, where updates largely provide minor changes and fixes.

If you want those or other app updates, or if you want or need an app that requires a macOS version newer than Sierra, then you will need to upgrade—an upgrade to a new version such as to High Sierra or Mojave, as differentiated from an incremental update to a later version of Sierra, though you;re probably already at the final version of Sierra—if your Mac is supported by those newer macOS versions.

The iWork updates listed require Mojave. I don’t know off-hand which macOS release is required for that iMovie update.

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina (10.15) - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave (10.14) - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra (10.13) - Apple Support

To upgrade to a newer version, first check that your most important apps are supported on the new release and/or that app updates or alternatives are available—Office 2011, for instance, is long off support and has issues on newer releases and won’t work at all on Catalina, nor will any other 32-bit apps work on Catalina—then check that your printer and scanner vendors have drivers available—these drivers are provided by the device vendors, and are not created by Apple—and then get a backup or two—that backup is your sole path for backing out of a failed upgrade, or for downgrading should there be a problem encountered with your use of the upgrade—and then upgrade.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2019 7:17 PM in response to KDL913

You’re probably on the most recent available update for Sierra, so there’ll be little other than maybe an occasional security patch.

Those incompatible updates are because those apps require later versions of macOS.

Those app updates are unrelated to updates for Sierra.

You can ignore those updates, as will macOS itself.

In Apple macOS usage, upgrades are larger and can be more disruptive and can provide new features, where updates largely provide minor changes and fixes.

If you want those or other app updates, or if you want or need an app that requires a macOS version newer than Sierra, then you will need to upgrade—an upgrade to a new version such as to High Sierra or Mojave, as differentiated from an incremental update to a later version of Sierra, though you;re probably already at the final version of Sierra—if your Mac is supported by those newer macOS versions.

The iWork updates listed require Mojave. I don’t know off-hand which macOS release is required for that iMovie update.

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina (10.15) - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave (10.14) - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra (10.13) - Apple Support

To upgrade to a newer version, first check that your most important apps are supported on the new release and/or that app updates or alternatives are available—Office 2011, for instance, is long off support and has issues on newer releases and won’t work at all on Catalina, nor will any other 32-bit apps work on Catalina—then check that your printer and scanner vendors have drivers available—these drivers are provided by the device vendors, and are not created by Apple—and then get a backup or two—that backup is your sole path for backing out of a failed upgrade, or for downgrading should there be a problem encountered with your use of the upgrade—and then upgrade.

need help downloading last software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.